Research on forming process and forming accuracy using low-melting alloys for sheet metal forming based on FEA
- 87 Downloads
In this paper, an effective forming method suppressing the wrinkling occurrence for sheet metal was investigated with a low-melting alloy (LMA). The LMA is under the action of forming force; the forming pressure medium transfers a uniform forming pressure on the surface of the forming plate to suppress plastic instability and wrinkling occurrence during the forming process. At the same time, the proposed method could reduce the process allowance of the sheet, which eliminates the trimming process and improves the material utilization for the formed parts. The mechanical properties of LMA were obtained by high-temperature tensile tests. The experiments show that the LMA under the heating state has lower rheological strength and the deformation resistance of the LMA decreases. The finite element analysis (FEA) software ABAQUS was employed to establish the FEA model for the proposed forming method. The coupled fluid-solid method was applied for the simulation of sheet forming process in ABAQUS/Explicit. The effects of various forming processes on the forming force, forming accuracy, and shape error of the plate were analyzed as well as the distribution of strain in the thickness direction. The effects of LMA on sheet forming under different temperature conditions were experimentally studied. The experimental results are consistent with the numerical simulation ones.
KeywordsLow-melting alloy Sheet metal forming Numerical simulation Wrinkling prevention
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Liu ZW, Li MZ, Han QG (2012) Numerical simulation on multi-point sheet metal forming with wrinkle resistance function. J Jilin Univ Technol 42:1208–1213 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 7.Fu WZ, Li MZ (2006) A research on the flexible blank-holder in multi-point forming press. J Plasticity Eng 32-35(In Chinese):2Google Scholar
- 11.Zhao, C.C., Li, X.D., Dong, G.J., Wang, Y.S (2009) Solid granules medium forming technology and its numerical simulation. Chin J Mech Eng-en 45:211–215Google Scholar
- 12.Li PL, Zhang Z, Zeng YS (2012) Study on titanium alloy spinner based on solid granules medium forming. Chin Forging and stamping Technol 37:60–63Google Scholar
- 14.Klemach Fred A (1952) A method of forming sheet metal with low-melting dies. Patent, US 2593571Google Scholar
- 16.Li Y, Li H, Gao YJ (2014) Application of low melting point alloy in C919 aircraft part forming. Aeronautical ManufacturingTechnology (S1):53-55+58 (In Chinese) Google Scholar
- 17.. Wang, J.H., Yang, Y.Q., Li, Q.Y. (2005) Design and properties of bi-cd-Sn-Pb fusible alloys. Development and Application of Materials, 20(1): 1–3. (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 18.DS Simulia. Abaqus6.13 Help Documentation (2013). USA:Dassault Systems Simulia Corp.Google Scholar