Optimization in a flexible die-casting engine-head plant via discrete event simulation
- 70 Downloads
The current research studies a flexible die-casting plant in order to increase productivity pondering investment risks in case of placing new components in the production line. Digital models were developed by means of a Plant Simulation software package. Modeling tools are helpful to represent the movements and functions of the production line components and also to identify the bottlenecks in the production line which improves the decision-making process to increase the productive efficiency. Several numerical models were evaluated; findings suggest significant reductions in the production cycle times which span from 1.13 to 65.25% at the best scenario. The most drastic change in the simulations was to add a new robot to the system improving the process flow. Moreover, the results suggested that the productivity increased for more than 300%, mainly due to the synchronization of the flexible plant elements.
KeywordsVirtual-manufacturing Plant-simulation-software Casting Foundry Manufacturing Discrete-events Model Simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Burger N, Demartini M, Tonelli F, Bodendorf F, Testa C (2017) Investigating flexibility as a performance dimension of a Manufacturing Value Modeling Methodology (MVMM): a framework for identifying flexibility types in manufacturing systems. Procedia CIRP 63:33–38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2017.03.343 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Dengzhe DM, Gausemeier J, Fan X (2011) Virtual reality & augmented reality in industry, 2nd edn. Springer, London, pp 22–28Google Scholar
- 5.Shumaker R, Lackey S (2014) Virtual, augmented and mixed reality: applications of virtual and augmented reality, 6th international conference proceedings Part II, Springer, pp 10–28. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-07464-1
- 10.Zhang M and Matta A (2016) Discrete event optimization: workstation and buffer allocation problem in manufacturing flow lines. Proceeding 2016 Winter Simul Conf, pp 2879–2890Google Scholar
- 11.Molenda P, Drews T, Oechsle O, Butzer S, Schoetz S, Steinhilper R (2017) The 50th CIRP conference on manufacturing systems: a simulation-based framework for the economic evaluation of flexible manufacturing systems. Procedia CIRP 63:201–206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2017.02.039 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Li X and Song Y (2015) Optimization of facilities layout based on lean manufacturing. Proceeding of the 22nd International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, Springer, pp 853–860Google Scholar
- 15.Guan Z, Cao L, Wang C, Cui Y, Shao X (2011) Simulation of logistics system with aspect of pallet requirements optimization based on digital factory. Adv Autom Robot 1:293–302Google Scholar