Dissimilar Cu/Al tube joint by EMF-assisted brazing
- 88 Downloads
In order to increase the reliability and efficiency of brazing joint for Cu/Al dissimilar metal tubes, electromagnetic forming (EMF) was adopted to improve the clearance of Cu/Al dissimilar metal tubes for presetting filler metal. The electromagnetic forming process was numerically investigated to study the effects of discharge voltage and initial clearance on the deformation uniformity of Cu outer tube. With the EMF process, the reasonable clearance between the outer and inner tubes was obtained for brazing joint in experiment. Then, the Cu/Al dissimilar metal tube was brazed with Zn–3Al filler metal at 420 °C for 8 s. The sufficient welding diffusion between Zn–3Al and the Al substrate was found and the thickness of intermetallic compound (IMC) layer on the Zn–3Al/Cu interface was about 2.1 μm. The tensile strength of the Cu/Al joint was 75 MPa and the fracture occurred on the T2 Cu tube. It is validated that EMF-assisted brazing method can achieve excellent metallurgic bonding of Cu/Al dissimilar metal tube joint.
KeywordsCu/Al tube Electromagnetic forming Brazing joint Zn-3Al filler metal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by the National Nature Science Foundation of China (No. 51475345) and the Open Fund Project of State Key Laboratory of Materials Processing and Die & Mould Technology, Huazhong University of Science and Technology (P2015-01, P2018-013).
- 2.Berlanga-Labari C, Albistur-Goni A, Balerdi-Azpilicueta P, Gutierrez-Peinado M, Fernandez-Carrasquilla J (2011) Study and selection of the most appropriate filler materials for an Al/Cu brazing joint in cooling circuits. Mater Manuf Process 26(2):236–241. https://doi.org/10.1080/10426914.2010.508807 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Zhang M, Xue S, Ji F, Lou Y, Wang S (2011) Effect of CuAl2 phase on properties and microstructure of Cu/Al brazed joint. Trans China Weld Inst 32(2):93–96Google Scholar
- 6.Koyama K, Shinozaki K, Ikeda K, Miki K, Kuroki H (2002) Evaluation of brazing properties using Al-Si-Mg-Bi brazing alloy. J Light Met Weld Constr 40(9):13–20Google Scholar
- 7.Shribman V (2008) Magnetic pulse welding for dissimilar and similar materials. 3th ICHSF 13-22Google Scholar
- 8.Kore SD, Date PP, Kulkarni SV, Kumar S, Rani D, Kulkarni MR, Desai SV, Rajawat RK, Nagesh KV, Chakravarty DP (2011) Application of electromagnetic impact technique for welding copper-to-stainless steel sheets. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 54(9–12):949–955. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-010-2981-z CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Yu H, Tong Y (2016) Magnetic pulse welding of aluminum to steel using uniform pressure electromagnetic actuator. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 91(5–8):2257–2265Google Scholar
- 18.Man Z, Wang P, Zhang L, Lin Y (2013) Microstructure and mechanical properties of Cu/Al joint brazed with Zn-Al-Ag filler metal. Trans China Weld Inst 34:55–58Google Scholar
- 26.Yu H, Sun L, Zhang X, Wang S, Li C (2016) Experiments on electrohydraulic forming and electromagnetic forming of aluminum tube. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 89(9–12):3169–3176Google Scholar
- 27.Haratmeh HE, Arezoodar AF, Farzin M (2016) Numerical and experimental investigation of inward tube electromagnetic forming. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 88(5–8):1–11Google Scholar
- 31.Elsen A, Ludwig M, Schaefer R, Groche P (2010) Fundamentals of EMPT-welding. 4th ICHSF 117-126Google Scholar