The influence of electrode tip radius on dynamic resistance in spot welding
- 50 Downloads
Electrode wear has a major impact on the quality of the spot welding joint. It is important to evaluate the electrode tip condition based on a simple method. In this paper, the dynamic resistance is analyzed, and the relationship between the dynamic resistance and the radius of electrode tip is investigated. It is difficult to obtain the relationship between the electrode tip radius and real-time dynamic resistance. The dynamic resistance is represented by the sum of the squares of the real-time resistances in every half cycle. It is virtually impossible to research the electrode tip radius based on only one dynamic resistance of spot welding joint. The average value of dozens of dynamic resistances should be analyzed, and the means of 20 dynamic resistances are analyzed in this study. The average value of dynamic resistances from the first to seventh cycle during the nugget-growth stage has a strong corresponding relation to the electrode tip radius, which can be used to evaluate the electrode wear.
KeywordsSpot welding Dynamic resistance Electrode tip radius
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This research work was financially supported by The Province-University Joint Construction Plan of Jilin Province
- 4.Hao M, Osman KA, Boomer DR, Newton CJ (1996) Developments in characterization of resistance spot welding of aluminum. Weld J Incl Weld Res Suppl 75(1):S1–S8Google Scholar
- 6.Cho Y, Rhee S (2002) Primary circuit dynamic resistance monitoring and its application to quality estimation during resistance spot welding. Weld J 81(6):104s–111sGoogle Scholar
- 8.Gong L, Xi Y, Liu C (2013) Embedded artificial neuval network-based real-time half-wave dynamic resistance estimation during the A.C. Resistance spot welding process. Math Probl Eng 2013:1–7Google Scholar
- 12.Bhattacharya D.R.A.A.S. (1974) Quality control for production. The Production Engineer. p. 297–303Google Scholar
- 13.Dickinson D, Franklin J, Stanya A (1980) Characterization of spot welding behavior by dynamic electrical parameter monitoring. Weld J 59(6):170Google Scholar
- 16.Xing B, Xiao Y, Qin QH, Cui H (2017) Quality assessment of resistance spot welding process based on dynamic resistance signal and random forest based[J]. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 1–13Google Scholar
- 19.Association JS 2008 Railway rolling stock-spot welded joints of mild steel-design methods, JIS E4048, Tokyo, JapanGoogle Scholar