Impulse pressure-assisted diffusion bonding of ferritic stainless steel
- 85 Downloads
In the present study, impulse pressure-assisted diffusion bonding of ferritic stainless steel was investigated. The effect of pressure pulsation and surface roughness on the tensile shear load-carrying capacity of the diffusion bonds was studied by evaluating the shear load and bond interface characteristics, and the optimum bonding parameters were determined. It was found that bond strength increases with the increase in maximum pulse pressure, and under optimum conditions, the failure occurred from the base metal in tensile shear testing. The void distribution analysis at the bond interface for some selected specimens was also done to study the effect of pressure pulsation. From FE-SEM observation, it was found that pressure pulsation helps in two ways: (a) it breaks the oxide film and (b) it fills the voids at the interface by plastic flow of the metal in the overlapped area. Also, pressure pulsation resulted in grain refinement at the interface owing to the compressive deformation, which led to the grain boundary diffusion.
KeywordsImpulse pressure Diffusion bonding Microvoids Surface roughness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This research was sponsored by the Ministry of Steel India, Project No: 11(1)/SDF/2010-TW. The authors would like to express their sincere appreciation to the Ministry of Steel for their financial support.
- 5.Sharma G, Dwivedi DK (2016) Structure and properties of friction stir weld joints of structural steel. Trans Indian Inst Metals 1–8. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12666-016-0876-x.
- 6.Sharma G, Kumar Dwivedi D, Jain PK (2017) Characterization and strain-hardening behavior of friction stir-welded ferritic stainless steel. J Mater Eng Perform 1–9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11665-017-3020-0.
- 19.Sun X-j, Gu J-l, Bai B-z (1999) Fabrication of submicron grained titanium alloy by compressive deformation. J Mater Eng 0:33–35Google Scholar
- 23.Kazakov NF (1985) Diffusion bonding of materials. Mir Publishers, MoscowGoogle Scholar
- 25.Sharma G, Tiwari L, Dwivedi DK (2017) Impulse pressure assisted diffusion bonding of low carbon steel using silver interlayer. Trans Indian Inst Metals. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12666-017-1136-4