Digitization modeling and CNC machining for cone-generated double-enveloping worm drive
- 48 Downloads
Digitization modeling and CNC machining method of cone-generated double-enveloping worm drive are proposed in this study. The modeling coordinate frame is developed, and coordinate transformation matrices are also built for different coordinate systems. Next, the common normal vectors and relative velocity vectors of the conical cutter and worm and worm and worm wheel are derived by using differential geometry, kinematic analysis, and coordinate transformation method; then, the mathematical models of the worm drive are established applying spatial meshing principle. In addition, the solving algorithms for the complex multivariate nonlinear constrained mathematical models of the worm drive are developed according to the worm drive’s surface-generating characteristic; then, the meshing point cloud that represents the tooth profile of the worm drive are calculated based on the developed algorithms; finally, the digital CAD models of the worm drive could be constructed on the basis of the point cloud in the modeling software system. The CNC machining code is generated based on the accurate digital CAD models, and the surfaces of the worm drive could be machined in the CNC machining center. The modeling and machining experiment results demonstrate the validity and accuracy of the proposed modeling and CNC machining method for cone-generated double-enveloping worm drive.
KeywordsEnveloping surface Cone-generated Double-enveloping Digital CAD model CNC machining Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors gratefully acknowledged the support of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NO.51675393), Hubei Province Natural Science Foundation of China (No.2016CFB148), Hubei Province Young Talents Science Foundation of China (No.Q20162902), and HuangGang Normal University Science Project of China (No.2015002003, No.201711503). The authors would also like to thank the editors and reviewers for their insightful suggestions and helpful comments for improving the manuscript.
- 2.Hsieh JF (2014) Design and analysis of indexing cam mechanism with parallel axes. Mech Mach Theory 81:155–165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2014.07.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Chang ZY, CM X, Pan TQ, Wang L, Zhang XC (2009) A general framework for geometry design of indexing cam mechanism. Mech Mach Theory 44(11):2079–2084. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2009.05.010 CrossRefMATHGoogle Scholar
- 6.Wang L, Chen Z, Li J, Sun J (2016) A novel approach to determination of wheel position and orientation for five-axis CNC flute grinding of end mills. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 84(9):1–16Google Scholar
- 8.Qiu QY, Shu QY, Feng PE, Zhu XH, Cao L (2012) Multi-objective optimization design of dual-cone double enveloping hourglass worm drive pair. J Harbin Eng Univ 33(7):869–874Google Scholar
- 9.Chryssolouris G, Mavrikios D, Papakostas N, Mourtzis D, Michalos G, Georgoulias K (2009) Digital manufacturing: history, perspectives, and outlook. Proceedings of the institution of mechanical engineers, part B. J Eng Manuf 223(5):451–462. https://doi.org/10.1243/09544054JEM1241 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Litvin FL, Fuentes A (2004) Gear geometry and applied theory, 2nd edn. Cambridge University Press, 202–206.Google Scholar
- 16.Cheng FA, Dong M, Wang SR, Li XZ (1996) The meshing principle of a new type of cone-generated envelope cylindrical worm gear drive. J Tianjin Univ 29(2):163–171Google Scholar
- 17.Kang MJ, Dong XZ, Zhang DH (1996) Tooth modification of cone-generated enveloping worm gear pair. J Chin Agric Univ 1(2):76–89Google Scholar
- 18.Litvin FL, Gonzalez-Perez L, Yukishima K, Fuentes A, Hayasaka K (2007) Design simulation of meshing and contact stresses for an improved worm gear drive. Mech Mach Theor 42(8):940–959. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2006.08.005 CrossRefMATHGoogle Scholar