Experimental study on micro electrical discharge machining with helical electrode
- 137 Downloads
With the development of micro electro mechanical system (MEMS), the application of micro components is becoming increasingly wide. Micro electrical discharge machining (micro EDM) is one of the most effective manufacturing processes for micro components. During past few decades, some innovative methods for improving micro EDM performance have been proposed. Using special-shaped electrode is just one of them. Although micro EDM with helical electrode has been proposed and the availability has been proved for several years, relatively little is known about the precise effect of helical electrode rotation on micro EDM performance. In this study, micro through-holes were machined on Ti6Al4V sample with a cylindrical electrode and helical electrode. The helical electrode achieves better machining performance overall compared to the cylindrical electrode due to its favorable debris removal ability. The higher the rotational speed of helical electrode, the higher the material removal rate (MRR). When using the cylindrical electrode, the MRR first increases and then decreases after reaching a peak at 3000 rpm. Higher MRR is obtainable with the helical electrode with reverse rotation; with forward rotation, it yields higher machining precision (lower overcut and taper rate).
KeywordsElectrical discharge machining Helical electrode Rotational speed Material removal rate Overcut
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Dwivedi AP, Choudhury SK (2016) Effect of tool rotation on MRR, TWR and surface integrity of AISI-D3 steel using rotary EDM process. Mater Manuf Process. doi: 10.1080/10426914.2016.1140198
- 7.Amoli ER, Salehinia S, Ghoreishi M (2016) Comparative study of expert predictive models based on adaptive neuro fuzzy inference system, nonlinear autoregressive exogenous and Hammerstein-Wiener approaches for electrical discharge machining performance: material removal rate and surface roughness. Proc Inst Mech Eng B J Eng Manuf 230(9):1690–1701. doi: 10.1177/0954405415625923 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Wang K, Zhang Q, Liu Q, Zhu G, Zhang J (2016) Experimental study on micro electrical discharge machining of porous stainless steel. Int J Adv Manuf Technol:1–7. doi: 10.1007/s00170-016-9611-3
- 10.Xie B, Zhang Y, Zhang J, Ren S, Liu X (2015) Flow field simulation of ultrasonic vibration assisted EDM of holes array. 2015 seventh international conference on advanced communication and networking. IEEE:28–31Google Scholar
- 23.Zhu Z, Lin J (2000) Pressure gradient force, Saffman lift, and Magnus lift on the fiber-like particle in fluid. J China Textile Univ :Engl Ed 2:23–27Google Scholar