Influence of graphite addition on bonding properties of abrasive layer of metal-bonded CBN wheel
- 60 Downloads
In order to improve the performance of metal-bonded grinding wheels, the graphite particles with several different contents (i.e., 5, 10, 15, and 20 wt%) were added to Cu-Sn-Ti alloy powders as the bonding materials. The influence of graphite addition on bonding properties of the abrasive layer was investigated. Firstly, microstructural examination results show that the joining between graphite and Cu-Sn-Ti alloy was achieved and provided a weak bonding strength compared to the pure Cu-Sn-Ti matrix. Secondly, the transgranular fracture and intergranular fracture were determined as the main fracture patterns of abrasive layer in the current investigation. Then, an optimized graphite content of 10 wt% was decided, at which the porosity of abrasive layer can reach 25% as well as the bending strength reached 125 MPa and was favorable to meet the high-speed grinding requirements. Finally, the finite element simulation results suggested that the graphite addition had little effect on the residual thermal stresses of abrasive layer.
KeywordsGraphite Bonding properties Abrasive layer Metal-bonded CBN wheel Grinding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dambatta YS, Sarhan AAD, Sayuti M, Hamdi M (2017) Ultrasonic assisted grinding of advanced materials for biomedical and aerospace applications—a review. Int J Adv Manuf Technol. doi: 10.1007/s00170-017-0316-z
- 13.Yu TY, Bastawros AF, Chandra A (2015) Modeling wear process of electroplated CBN grinding wheel. In: Proceedings of the ASME 2015 International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, Jun. 8–12; Charlotte: 1–7Google Scholar
- 14.Ghosh A, Chattopadhyay AK (2007) On grain-failure of an indigenously developed single layer brazed CBN wheel. Ind Diam Rev 1:59–64Google Scholar
- 17.Beyer P (2005) High-production grinding with vitrified bond superabrasives-HPB technology for vitrified bond CBN wheels. Ind Diam Rev 1:46–58Google Scholar
- 52.Li XS, Zhang JQ (2011) Research on key manufacturing technologies for super-high speed vitrified bond CBN grinding wheel. Tool Eng 45:3–7Google Scholar
- 53.Zhang JQ, Pang ZR, Yu TB, Wang WS (2011) Experiment study based on nano-ceramic grinding wheel bond. Adv Mater Res 299–300:250–254Google Scholar
- 56.Qiu HP, Guo QG, Song YZ, Zhai GT, Song JR, Liu L (2002) Study of the relationship between thermal conductivity and microcrystalline parameters of buck graphite. New Carbon Mater 17:36–40Google Scholar