Influence of aluminium sheet surface modification on the self-piercing riveting process and the joint static lap shear strength
- 378 Downloads
Self-piercing riveting (SPR) has been widely used in automotive as one of the major joining technologies for aluminium structures due to its advantages over some of the more traditional joining technologies. Research has shown that friction is a very important factor that influences both the riveting process and the joint strength for SPR, but these influences have not been fully understood. In this paper, AA5754 sheets with different surface textures, such as original with solid wax, hot water washed, sandpaper ground and grit blasted, were used to study the influence of friction on therivet inserting process, joint features and static lap shear strength. The results of joint features and rivet setting displacement-force curve showed that hot water wash and sandpaper grinding on aluminium sheet did not have significant influence on the rivet inserting process and joint features; however, for joints with grit-blasted substrates, the rivet -setting forces were higher at the beginning, and a middle section of the curve and the joint features, such as interlocks and minimum remaining bottom material thickness (T min), were clearly altered. The lap shear tests showed that hot water washing can slightly increase the lap shear strength, sandpaper grinding increased the static lap shear strength further and grit blasting increased the static lap shear strength the most.
KeywordsSelf-piercing riveting Friction Rivet setting process Lap shear strength Displacement-force curve
- 1.Krause A, Chernenkoff R (1995) A comparative study of the fatigue behavior of spot welded and mechanically fastened aluminum joints. SAE Technical Paper 950710. doi: 10.4271/950710
- 2.Booth G, Olivier C, Westgate S, Liebrecht F et al (2000) Self-piercing riveted joints and resistance spot welded joints in steel and aluminium. SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2681. doi: 10.4271/2000-01-2681
- 4.Li D, Chrysanthou A, Patel I et al (2017) Self-piercing riveting—a review. Int J Adv Manuf Technol. doi: 10.1007/s00170-017-0156-x
- 6.Li D, Han L, Thornton M, Shergold M (2010) An evaluation of quality and performance of self-piercing riveted high strength aluminium alloy AA6008 for automotive applications. SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0223. doi: 10.4271/2010-01-0223
- 17.Han L, Young K, Hewitt R, Alkahari M et al (2006) Effect of sheet material coatings on quality and strength of self-piercing riveted joints. SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0775. doi: 10.4271/2006-01-0775
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.