A highly efficient and convergent optimization method for multipoint tool orientation in five-axis machining
- 102 Downloads
In five-axis machining, multipoint tool orientation has the merit of getting a wider strip width. However, large computing time restricts its application. In this paper, for machining free-form surfaces by toroidal tools, a highly efficient and convergent multipoint tool orientation optimization method is proposed. The method is improved from Middle Point Error Control Method (MPECM), by changing the objective from the maximum strip width to multipoint tool orientation. H-function is defined, and the consistency between multipoint tool orientation and H-function’s zero is demonstrated. Based on that, the seeking for optimal tool orientation is equivalent to the computation of H-function’s zero. Under the same conditions, compared with MPECM and mechanical equilibrium method (MEM), the computing time of the proposed method decreases to 5% at least. Convergence is ensured by the analysis of the existence of multipoint tool orientation. In the end, the proposed method is validated in machining a mold surface and an aero-engine blade.
KeywordsMultipoint tool orientation Two contact points Wide strip width machining Tool orientation optimization Five-axis machining
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 20.Zheng G, Lu Y, Zhu L (2012) Interference-free tool positioning for five-axis sculptured surface machining using third-order point contact approach. J Shanghai Jiaotong University 42(2):172–177Google Scholar
- 21.Madhavulu G, Sunda S, Ahmed B (1996) CAD/CAM solutions for efficient machining of turbo machinery componts by Struz milling method[C]// Processing of the 1996 IEEEIECON 22nd international conference, Aug 5-10, 1996, Taipei, Taiwan, China 1490-1495Google Scholar
- 25.Damsohn H (1976) Five-axis NC milling. Dissertation, University of StuttgartGoogle Scholar
- 34.Gan ZW, Chen ZT, Zhou M, Yang J, Li SS (2016) Optimal cutter orientation for five-axis machining based on mechanical equilibrium theory. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 84(5–8):989–999Google Scholar
- 35.Gan ZW, Chen ZT, Zhou M (2016) Approaching the characteristic curve of the cutter’s envelope based on a velocity field. Proc IMechE B J Eng Manuf. doi: 10.1177/0954405415616788
- 36.Yan QJ (2006) Numerical analysis [M], 3th edn. Beihang University Publishing House, Beijing, pp 5–7Google Scholar