Open-source wire and arc additive manufacturing system: formability, microstructures, and mechanical properties
The inexpensive cost and high manufacture efficient metal wire and arc additive manufacturing (WAAM) system was designed in this work. Its application potential was evaluated from the three aspects of formability, microstructures, and mechanical properties. By using compulsory cooling solution implemented in the open-source WAAM system, the complex-shaped metal parts were deposited completely with no obvious defects, such as cracks, pores, or incomplete fusion. The properties of the WAAM part were evaluated by optical microscopy (OM), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), microhardness, and microtensile test. The results indicate that the formability of metal parts fabricated by the open-source WAAM system was improved by using compulsory cooling solution. The microstructures of the WAAM part are exhibited as granular structure which consisted of the granular ferrite and the residual austenite interspersed with a little pearlite in the intermediate zone. And the average ferrite grain size of non-overlapping layer is relatively smaller than that of overlapping layer. The specimen perpendicular to the building direction exhibits a better mechanical property.
KeywordsAdditive manufacturing Gas metal arc welding Microstructures Overlapping layer Open-source
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.DuPont JN, Marder AR (1995) Thermal efficiency of arc welding processes. Weld J 74(12):406s–416sGoogle Scholar
- 8.Fu YH, Wang GL, Zhang HO, Liang LY (2016) Optimization of surface appearance for wire and arc additive manufacturing of Bainite steel. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 2016:1–13Google Scholar
- 10.Horii T, Ishikawa M, Kirihara S, Miyamoto Y, Yamanaka N (2007) Development of freeform fabrication of metals by three dimensional micro-welding. Sol State Phenom, Proceedings of DIS, Osaka, pp 189–194Google Scholar
- 12.Shen C, Pan ZX, Cuiuri D, Ding DH, Li HJ (2016) Influences of deposition current and interpass temperature to the Fe3Al-based iron aluminide fabricated using wire-arc additive manufacturing process. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 2016:1–10Google Scholar
- 15.Li KH, Chen JS, Zhang YM (2007) Double-electrode GMAW process and control. Weld J 86(8):231Google Scholar
- 20.Johann CR (2016) Delta robot 3D printer with extrusion frame. RepRap. http://reprap.org/wiki/Kossel. Accessed 24 July 2016
- 21.Bhadeshia HKDH (2008) Application of phase transformation theory to welding. POSCO Lectures, Portland, 16th (February)Google Scholar
- 22.Petch NJ (1953) The cleavage strength of polycrystals. J Iron Steel Inst 174(1):25–28Google Scholar