Delamination assessment of punched holes on laminated composite panels based on the profile measurement technique
- 61 Downloads
Assembly for a structural material such as a composite panel cannot be avoided. Typically, composite panels are assembled using a fastener through a drilled hole. The main problem of drilling is delamination, which affects the strength of the assembly. In addition, the cost of drilling is high because of repeated regrinding of the drill bit. The main goal of this research is to develop a new method as an alternative to drilling hole preparation. In this study, a new simpler method to determine delamination is based on the profile measurement technique. The 2D profile of the punched hole obtained through the focus variation technique is utilized to determine the delamination. A comparison to the developed measurement method shows a good agreement.
KeywordsComposites panel Punching Drilling Delamination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Edward T (2008) Composite materials revolutionize aerospace engineering. Ingenia 36:24–28Google Scholar
- 5.Kim D, Kwon P, Lantrip J, Beal A, Park KH (2010) Tool wear and hole quality in drilling of composite/titanium stacks with carbide and PCD tools. SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1868. doi: 10.4271/2010-01-1868
- 7.Debnath K, Singh I, Dvivedi A, Kumar P (2013) In: Attaf B (ed) Recent advances in composite materials for wind turbine blades. Advances in materials science and applications (in English). World Academic Publishing, Hong KongGoogle Scholar
- 12.Ali HM, Iqbal A, Hashemipour M (2014) Dimensional accuracy and strength comparison in hole making of GFRP composite using Co2 laser and abrasive water jet technologies. Indian Journal of Engineering & Materials Science 21:189–199Google Scholar
- 17.Miguel PD, Manuel RS, Albuquerque VHC, Marques S, Andrade NG (2014) Drilling damage in composite material. Materials 7(5):3811–3812Google Scholar
- 24.Pasquali M, Lacarbonara W (2015) Delamination detection in composite laminates using high-frequency P- and S-waves—part I: theory and analysis. Compos Struct. doi: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.05.042 (accessed 8 July 2015)
- 29.Campbell FC (2010) Composite materials. ASM International, Metals ParkGoogle Scholar
- 31.Chan HY, Abdullah AB, Samad Z (2015) Precision punching of hole on composite panels. Indian Journal of Engineering & Materials Sciences 22:641–651Google Scholar
- 32.Zain MSM, Abdullah AB, Samad Z (2016) Effect of puncher profile on the precision of punched holes on composite panels. Int J Adv Manuf Technol. doi: 10.1007/s00170-016-9339-0
- 36.Abdullah AB, Sapuan SM, Samad Z (2014) Profile measurement based on focus variation method for geometrical defect evaluation—a case study of cold forged propeller blade. Adv Mech Eng 2014(874691)Google Scholar