Thermal cycles and its effect on HAZ microstructure and mechanical properties of 10CrNi3MoV steel in double-sided double arc welding
- 75 Downloads
Thermal cycles of heat-affected zones (HAZs) in double-sided double arc welding (DSDAW) were measured in this study. The microstructure and impact toughness of specimens imposing typical thermal cycles of coarse-grained heat-affected zone (CGHAZ) were analysed by using thermal simulation. The results show that the two arcs influenced each other even during the deposition of the fourth layer in each side. Both of the two arcs could reduce the cooling rate of HAZs. Besides, the heating of the rear arc may make HAZ sustain in bainite transformation interval for a long time and lead to the formation of granular bainite which could deteriorate welding joint. To obtain good toughness of joint by DSDAW, the arc distance during filling pass depositing should be properly enlarged to eliminate granular baintie under the premise that the trough temperature (T t) is higher than 200 °C.
KeywordsDouble-sided double arc welding Thermal cycles Granular bainite Impact toughness Arc distance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
No conflict of interest exits in the submission of this manuscript.
- 3.Wongpanya P, Boellinghaus T, Lothongkum G (2006) Effects of hydrogen removal heat treatment on residual stresses in high strength structural steel welds. Weld World 50:96–103 Special Issue Google Scholar
- 4.Yue X, Lippold J (2013) Evaluation of heat-affected zone hydrogen-induced cracking in Navy steels. Weld J 92(1):20s–28sGoogle Scholar
- 5.Devletian JH, Fichtelberg ND (2001) Controlling hydrogen cracking in shipbuilding. Weld J 80(11):46–52Google Scholar
- 8.Roelens JB, Maltrud F, Lu J (1994) Determination of residual stresses in submerged arc multi-pass welds by means of numerical simulation and comparison with experimental measurements. Weld World 33(3):152–159Google Scholar
- 14.Vishnu VS, Nadeera M, Joy Varghese VM (2014) Numerical analysis of effect of process parameters on residual stress in a double side TIG welded low carbon steel plate [J]. Dept. of CIM, TKM College of Engg./Kerala University, India. IOSR J Mech Civ Eng (IOSRJMCE) e-ISSN, 2014: 2278-1684Google Scholar
- 18.Kunning J, Hongyun Z, Cairu G, Guodong W (2007) Effect of granular bainite in microstructure after welding on impact toughness for micro-calcium steel. Transactions of the China Welding Institution 28(2):95–98 118 Google Scholar
- 20.Lippold JC (2014) Welding metallurgy and weldability. WileyGoogle Scholar