Tribological evaluation of mild steel with ternary alloy of Zn-Al-Sn by laser deposition
- 114 Downloads
Mild steel have good properties that made it a candidate materials for most engineering applications. But in some applications like gears, cam the hardness values at the surface is not adequate that made it have low wear resistance. In order to increases the wear behavior of this novel materials that lead to the investigation of laser alloying of mild steel with Zn-Al-Sn. The laser power of 750 W, scanning speed of 0.6 and 0.8 m/min, alloy composition of 25 % Zn-50 % Al-25 % Sn and 30 % Zn-40 % Al-20 % Sn were used in the research. Standard tribometer was used for the wear evaluation. The results showed that hardness values and wear behavior improved by increasing the Al content from 40 to 50 %. The optimum condition was obtained at 25 % Zn-50 % Al-25 % Sn at laser power of 750 W and speed of 0.8 m/min. It have been established that laser alloying of mild steel with of Zn-Al-Sn is promising for improving the surface hardness values and wear resistance of mild steel.
KeywordsCoating Electron microscopy Wear and hardness values
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Asuquo Linus O, Ihom PA (2013) Mathematical modeling of the hardness of case hardened steel with respect to carburizing time. Research and Reviews: Journal of Engineering and Technology:78–82Google Scholar
- 3.Ravendra Singh, Vedansh Chaturvedi, Jyoti Vimal (2012) Investigation Of Optimal Process Parameters For Mechanical And Wear Properties Of Carburized Mild Steel Using Taguchi Approach, Ijreas 2(5)Google Scholar
- 4.Kumar M. and Gupta R. C. (1995) Abrasive wear characteristics of carbon and low alloy steels for better performance of farm implements, Journal of material science and technology, 11 : pp. 91 – 96.Google Scholar
- 5.Palaniradja K, Alagumurthi N, Soundararajan V (2010) Hardness and case depth analysis through optimization techniques in surface hardening processes. The Open Materials Science Journal 4:38–63Google Scholar
- 7.Rana, J., Goswami, G.L., Jha, S.K., Mishra, P.K. and Prasad, B.V.S.S.S. “experimental studies on the microstructure and hardness of laser-treated steel specimens”, Optics & Laser Technology, 2007, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 385–393.r Google Scholar
- 10.Fatoba O.S, Popoola A.P.I, Aigbodion V.S Experimental study of hardness values and corrosion behaviour of laser alloyed Zn-Sn-Ti coatings of UNS G10150 mild steelGoogle Scholar
- 11.Aigbodion V.S, Popoola A.P.I, Fatoba. O.S Evaluation of hardness values and corrosion behavior of laser alloyed 20Al-20Sn-60Ti on UNS G10150 mild steelGoogle Scholar