FEM assessment of performance of microhole textured cutting tool in dry machining of Ti-6Al-4V
In this paper, the AdvantEdge FEM is used to investigate the performance of microhole textured cutting tools in dry three-dimensional (3D) turning of Ti alloy (Ti-6A1-4V). Microholes are designed on the rake face of cemented carbide (WC/Co) cutting inserts. The purpose is to assess the effect of microhole textured cutting tool on machining performance and to compare it with non-textured regular cutting tools. Specifically, the following microhole parameters are tested: microhole diameter, microhole depth, edge distance (the distance from cutting edge to the first line of microholes), and microhole position pattern. Their effects are assessed in terms of the cutting forces and tool-chip contact length. It is found that microhole textured cutting tools generate lower cutting force and consequently lower-energy consumption for machining. Moreover, the microhole diameter, the microhole depth, the edge distance, and the microhole position pattern all affect the cutting forces of the machining in their own way.
KeywordsMicroholes Textured cutting tool Cutting force Chip morphology FEM modeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.Sugihara T, Enomoto T (2012) Improving anti-adhesion in aluminum alloy cutting by micro stripe texture. Precis Eng J Int Soc Precis Eng Nanotechnol 36(2):229–237Google Scholar
- 14.Obikawa T, Kani B (2011) Micro ball and milling of titanium alloy using a tool with a microstructured rake face. J Adv Mech Des Syst Manuf 6(7):1121–1131Google Scholar
- 19.Ma J, Duong N, Lei S (2015) Numerical investigation of the performance of microbump textured cutting tool in dry machining of AISI 1045 steel. J Manuf Process. doi:10.1016/j.jmapro.2014.10.001
- 21.Kiyota H, Itoigawa F, Nakamura T (2014) Experimental research of micro-textured tool for reduction in cutting force. 17th Conference of the European Scientific Association on Material Forming, ESAFORM 2014; Espoo; Finland; 7 May 2014 through 9 May 2014. 611–612: 1258–1263Google Scholar
- 22.Zhang JF, Chen ZM, Feng PF, Xu WH (2013) The characteristics of titanium alloy chip-breaking by orthogonal cutting with a surface-textured cutting tool. 2nd International Conference on Machine Design and Manufacturing Engineering, ICMDME. Jeju Island; South Korea; 1 May 2013 through 2 May 2013Google Scholar
- 23.AdvantEdge FEM User’s Manual, Version 6.0, 2013Google Scholar
- 25.CES EduPack 2011, version 7.0Google Scholar