High-speed micromachining characteristics for the NiTi shape memory alloys
- 352 Downloads
Increasing use of the nitinol (NiTi), the nickel titanium alloy is primarily due to the fact that the medical fraternity is looking more toward less invasive medical procedures. Microengineering features such as microslots, grooves, and profiles of size 0.5 mm and below are required in the NiTi alloy-based medical components, but the material offers tremendous manufacturing difficulty due to its superior mechanical properties. High-speed micro machining was viewed as a possible way to process the NiTi-based medical components without compromising the productivity and quality of the machined surface textures. A study was undertaken to characterize the high-speed micromachining process for the NiTi alloy. More specifically, the optimization of the machining process parameters with the objective of reducing the milling forces and burr formation was focused upon. The study unveiled that the understanding the tool-work interface behavior is critically important for maximizing the machining performance of the NiTi alloy. Machining behavior characterized in terms of low cutting forces and reduced burr size was achieved at 15 m/min of cutting speed when the NiTi alloy undergoes a transition from B2 phase to B19 phase.
KeywordsHigh-speed micromachining NiTi alloy Microslot Phase transition Strain hardening
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Petrini L, Migliavacca F (2011) Biomedical applications of shape memory alloys. J Metall. doi: 10.1155/2011/501483
- 4.Uppal N, Shiakolas PS (2008) Micromachining characteristics of NiTi based shape memory alloy using femtosecond laser. J Manuf Sci Eng 130(3):031117Google Scholar
- 5.Neyestanak AAL, Daneshmand S (2013) The effect of operational cutting parameters on Nitinol-60 in wire electro-discharge machining. Adv Mater Sci Eng. doi: 10.1155/2013/457186
- 10.Biermann D, Kahleyss F, Krebs E, Upmaier T (2010) A study on micro-machining technology for the machining of NiTi: five -axis micro-milling and micro deep-hole drilling. J Mater Eng Perform 20(4–5):745–751Google Scholar
- 13.Duerig TW, Melton KN, Stöckel D (2013) Engineering aspects of shape-memory alloys. Butterworth-Heinemann publishersGoogle Scholar
- 16.Vojtěch D (2010) Influence on heat treatment of shape memory NiTi alloy on its mechanical properties. In: International Conference Metals 2010, Roznov pod Radhostem, Czech Republic, EU, 18–20 May 2010Google Scholar