A web-based 3D modeling framework for a runner-gate design
A distributed collaborative engineering has been increased in various types of industries. As a consequence, many CAD application developers have improved web-based designing systems. However, the web applications cannot modify and create 3D data but only visualize a 3D model. This paper describes a web-based collaborative framework for a runner-gate design; it includes an interactive 3D runner-gate designing module, converting module, real-time communication module, etc. The design process involves numbers of steps such as uploading 3D model data file to the STL-converting server, designing guidelines of runner-gate on the web browser, and an automatically generating runner-gate system through server side application programming interface (API). This paper concludes solutions on issues raised by research and development process of the suggested framework.
KeywordsKnowledge-based design Distributed environment Runner-gate design WebGL
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Andrew GL, Nathan WH (2011) A case study in CAD design automation. J Technol Stud 37(1):2–9Google Scholar
- 3.O’Brien, WD. Chandonais M, Henderson RS, Prezbindowski M, Hartman NW, Rasche JA (2006) Using knowledge-based solid modeling techniques and airfoil design data: a case study in developing an airfoil seed part generator. Proceedings of The 2006 IJME -INTERTECH Conference: Union, NJ, 21:2006Google Scholar
- 8.Wei L (2013) 3D web based surgical training through comparative analysis. Proceedings of the 18th international conference in 3D web technology, 83–86Google Scholar
- 9.Capilla R, Nava F, Perez S, Duenas JC (2006) A web-based tool for managing architectural design decisions. ACM SIGSOFT Softw Eng Notes 31(5)Google Scholar
- 10.Wang Q, Saunders B (2005) Web-based 3D visualization in a digital library of mathematical functions. Proceedings of the 10th international conference in 3D web technology, 151–157Google Scholar
- 14.John C, Alvargo S, Luis K, Aitor M, Jorge P, Oscar R (2011) Interactive visualization of volumetric data with WebGL in real-time. Web3D ’11 Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on 3D Web Technology 137–146Google Scholar
- 17.Brian D (2012) Beginning WebGL for HTML5. Apress, New York, pp 173–203Google Scholar
- 18.Tsai KM Runner design to improve quality of plastic optical lens. Int J adv Manuf Technol. 66(1–4):523–536Google Scholar
- 21.Thammachot N, Dulyapraphant P, Bohez EIJ (2012) Optimal gating system design for investment casting of sterling silver by computer-assisted simulation. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 67(1–4):797–810Google Scholar
- 22.Siltanen P, Valli S (2013) Web-based 3D mediated communication in manufacturing industry. Concurrent Engineering Approaches for Sustainable product development in a Multi-Disciplinary Environment, 1181–1192Google Scholar
- 23.Luke Malpass, Solidworks 2009 API: advanced product development. Published by AngelSixGoogle Scholar