Ant colony optimization for job shop scheduling using multi-attribute dispatching rules
- 1.4k Downloads
This paper proposes a heuristic method based on ant colony optimization to determine the suboptimal allocation of dynamic multi-attribute dispatching rules to maximize job shop system performance (four measures were analyzed: mean flow time, max flow time, mean tardiness, and max tardiness). In order to assure high adequacy of the job shop system representation, modeling is carried out using discrete-event simulation. The proposed methodology constitutes a framework of integration of simulation and heuristic optimization. Simulation is used for evaluation of the local fitness function for ants. A case study is used in this paper to illustrate how performance of a job shop production system could be affected by dynamic multi-attribute dispatching rule assignment.
KeywordsAnt colony optimization Multi-attribute dispatching rules Discrete-event simulation Dynamic job shop
- 11.Kim Y-D, Kim J-U, Lim S-K, Jun H-B (1998) Due-date based scheduling and control policies in a multiproduct semiconductor wafer fabrication facility. IEEE T Semiconduct M IEEE T Semiconduct M 11:155–164Google Scholar
- 13.Bocewicz G, Wójcik R, Banaszak Z. (2008) AGVs distributed control subject to imprecise operation times. In: Agent and multi-agent systems: technologies and applications, LNAI 4953: 421–430Google Scholar
- 17.Dominic PDD, Kaliyamoorthy S, Saravana Kumar M (2004) Efficient dispatching rules for dynamic job shop scheduling. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 24:70–75Google Scholar
- 26.Huang M, Wu T, Liang X (2010) GA-ACO in job-shop schedule problem research. Comput Intel Syst 107:226–233Google Scholar
- 27.Avila Rondon RL, Carvalho AS (2009) Solving a real job shop scheduling. Industrial Electronics. IECON '09. 35th Annual Conference of IEEE: 2494–2498Google Scholar
- 30.Dorigo M, Stutzle T (2010) Ant colony optimization: overview and recent advances. In: Gendreau M, Potvin JY (eds) Handbook of metaheuristics, vol 146, Secondth edn. Springer, New York, p 561, Chapter 8Google Scholar
- 32.Nonsiri S, Supratid S (2008) Modifying ant colony optimization. IEEE Conference on Soft Computing in Industrial Applications. June 25–27. Muroran. Japan: 95–100Google Scholar
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits any use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and the source are credited.