Laser cutting of 7050 Al alloy reinforced with Al2O3 and B4C composites
- 315 Downloads
In the present study, laser cutting of 7050 aluminum alloy sheets reinforced with Al2O3 and B4C particles are carried out. The cut geometry is examined using scanning electron microscope and the optical microscope. The lump parameter analysis technique is used to formulate and determine the kerf width size. The predictions for kerf width are compared with experimental data. The percentage kerf width size variation along the cut edges is determined and the influence of the laser power level and duty cycle of the laser pulses on the percentage kerf width size variation is examined. It is found that 7050 aluminum alloy reinforced with 20% Al2O3 composite results in relatively large kerf width size as compared to its counter parts that corresponding to 7050 aluminum alloy reinforced with 20% B4C composite. The kerf width size predicted agreed with the experimental data for both composites.
KeywordsLaser Cutting Aluminum alloy Kerf width
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Li K, Sheng P (1995) Computational model for laser cutting of steel plates. ASME Manuf Science Engrg 2–1:3–14Google Scholar
- 8.Stournaras A, Stavropoulos P, Chryssolouris G (2006) Investigation of laser cutting quality of aluminium, ICALEO 2006—25th International Congress on Applications of Laser and Electro-Optics, Congress Proceedings, Art. no. 407Google Scholar
- 9.Grabowski A, Sleziona J, Nowak M (2007) Laser cutting of AlSi-alloy/SiCp composite—Modeling of the cut kerf geometry. Proc SPIE–Int Soc Opt Eng (USA), Laser Technology VIII: Applications to Lasers 6598:65980HGoogle Scholar
- 10.Migliore LR, Ozkan A (2003) Laser cutting of aluminum nitride. Proc SPIE–Int Soc Opt Eng (USA) 5063:505–508Google Scholar
- 11.De Graaf RF, Meijer J (1998) Modeling of synthetic layer damage during the laser cutting of an Al-PP-Al laminate. Lasers Eng 7(3–4):333–340Google Scholar
- 12.Molian R, Shrotriya P, Molian P (2008) Improved method of CO2 laser cutting of aluminum nitride. J Electron Packag, Trans ASME 130(2):0245011–0245013Google Scholar
- 16.Wang X, Kang R, Xu W, Guo D (2006) Direct laser fabrication of aluminum-alloy slot antenna array, First international symposium on systems and control in aerospace and astronautics, IEEE Cat. No. 06EX1168C, 5Google Scholar
- 21.Kar A, Rothenflue JA, Latham WP (1997) Scaling laws for thick-section cutting with a chemical oxygen-iodine laser. J Laser Appl 9:279–286Google Scholar
- 22.International Standards for Thermal Cutting, DIN 2310, GermanyGoogle Scholar