Taguchi and Gauss elimination method: A dual response approach for parametric optimization of CNC wire cut EDM of PRAlSiCMMC
- 943 Downloads
Machining parameters tables provided by the machine tool manufacturers often do not meet the operator requirements and sometimes even do not provide efficient guidelines to manufacturing engineers. Hence, a suitable selection of machining parameters of CNC wire cut electrical discharge machining (EDM) process is necessary. This paper present a reliable set of parameters that demonstrate versatility, and numerous and diverse range based on experience and technology. We offer an experimental investigation to determine the parameters setting during the machining of aluminium-reinforced silicon carbide metal matrix composite (Al/SiC-MMC). The Taguchi method, a powerful tool for experimental design, is used to optimize the CNC-wire cut-EDM parameters. According to the Taguchi quality design Concept, a L18 (21×37) mixed orthogonal array was used to determine the S/N ratio, and an analysis of variance (ANOVA) and the F-test values were used to indicate the significant machining parameters affecting the machining performance. From experimental results and through ANOVA and F-test values, the significant factors are determined for each machining performance criteria, such as the metal removal rate, surface roughness, gap current and spark gap (gap width). Considering these significant CNC wire cut-EDM parameters, verification of the improvement in the quality characteristics for machining Al/SiC-MMC was made with a confirmation test with respect to the chosen initial or reference parameter setting. Mathematical models relating to the machining performance are established using the Gauss elimination method for the effective machining of Al/SiC-MMC. Yet again, confirmation test results also show that the developed mathematical models are appropriate for the effective machining of Al/SiC-MMC. The determined optimal combination of CNC-wire cut-EDM parameters obtained from the study satisfy the real requirement of quality machining of Al/SiC MMC in practice.
KeywordsAl/SiC-MMC CNC-WEDM Gauss elimination method MRR Taguchi method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Allison JE, Cole GS (1993) Metal matrix composite in the automotive industry: opportunities and challenges. JOM, January, pp 19–24Google Scholar
- 5.Cronjager L, Meister D (1992) Machining of fiber and particle-reinforced aluminium. Ann CIRP 41(1):63–66Google Scholar
- 6.Manna A, Bhattacharyya B (1998) An investigation on Al-SiC metal matrix composite during machining. In: Proceedings of the Fifth Annual Paper Meeting, The Institution of Engineers; Bangladesh, 5–7 November, Paper number 46, pp 368–375Google Scholar
- 9.Ross PJ (1989) Taguchi technique for quality engineering. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 10.Phadke MS. Quality engineering using robust design. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New JerseyGoogle Scholar