Five-year experience of cementless Oxford unicompartmental knee replacement
- 653 Downloads
Cementless unicompartmental knee replacement (UKR) was introduced to address some of the problems that can occur following cemented UKR. The aim of this study was to report the 5-year experience of the first 512 medial cementless Oxford UKR implanted by two surgeons for the recommended indications.
The first consecutive 512 cementless Phase 3 Oxford UKRs implanted by two surgeons for the recommended indications between June 2004 and October 2013 were prospectively identified and followed up independently. All the procedures were carried out through a minimally invasive approach without eversion or dislocation of the patella. Patients were assessed clinically pre-operatively and at 1, 2, 5, 7 and 10 years after surgery with functional outcome scores and radiographs.
There were eight reoperations of which six were revisions giving a 5-year survival of 98 % (95 % CI 94–100 %). At a mean follow-up of 3.4 years (1.0–10.2), the mean OKS was 43 (SD 7), AKSS (objective) was 81 (SD 13), and AKSS (functional) was 86 (SD 17). The first 120 cases had a minimum follow-up of 5 years (mean 5.9; range 5–10.2). In these patients, the mean OKS was 41 (SD 8), AKSS (objective) was 81 (SD 14), and AKSS (functional) was 82 (SD 18). There were no femoral radiolucencies and no complete tibial radiolucencies. 11 % of tibial components had partial radiolucent lines; the remaining 89 % had no radiolucencies.
The clinical results are as good as or better than those previously reported for cemented fixation. The radiographic results are better with secure bony attachment to the implants in every case.
Level of evidence
KeywordsUnicompartmental knee replacement Cementless fixation Implant survival Functional outcome
The authors would like to thank B.E. Marks, J. Brown and J. Ferris for their assistance with this study. This study has been supported by the NIHR Biomedical Research Centre, based at Oxford University Hospitals Trust, Oxford. The views expressed are those of the authors and not necessarily those of the NHS, the NIHR or the Department of Health. Financial support has been received from Biomet.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author or one or more of the authors have received or will receive benefits for personal or professional use from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article. In addition, benefits have been or will be directed to a research fund, foundation, educational institution, or other non-profit organisation with which one or more of the authors are associated.
- 3.Australian Orthopaedic Association National Joint Replacement Registry. Annual Report (2014). https://aoanjrr.dmac.adelaide.edu.au/documents/10180/172286/Annual%20Report%202014
- 6.Carlsson A, Bjorkman A, Besjakov J, Onsten I (2005) Cemented tibial component fixation performs better than cementless fixation: a randomized radiostereometric study comparing porous-coated, hydroxyapatite-coated and cemented tibial components over 5 years. Acta Orthop 76(3):362–369PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Faour-Martin O, Valverde-Garcia JA, Martin-Ferrero MA, Vega-Castrillo A, de la Red Gallego MA, Suarez de Puga CC, Amigo-Linares L (2013) Oxford phase 3 unicondylar knee arthroplasty through a minimally invasive approach: long-term results. Int Orthop 37(5):833–838CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 10.Goodfellow JW, O’Connor J, Pandit H, Dodd C, Murray D (2015) Unicompartmental arthroplasty with the Oxford knee, 2nd edn. Goodfellow Publishers, Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 13.Insall JN, Dorr LD, Scott RD, Scott WN (1989) Rationale of the Knee Society clinical rating system. Clin Orthop Relat Res 248:13–14Google Scholar
- 19.National Joint Registy 10th Annual Report 2013 (2013). National Joint Registry for England, Wales and Northern IrelandGoogle Scholar
- 28.Seeger JB, Haas D, Jager S, Rohner E, Tohtz S, Clarius M (2012) Extended sagittal saw cut significantly reduces fracture load in cementless unicompartmental knee arthroplasty compared to cemented tibia plateaus: an experimental cadaver study. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 20(6):1087–1091CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 30.Swedish Hip Arthroplasty Register Annual Report (2013). http://www.shpr.se/Libraries/Documents/AnnualReport_2013-04-1_1.sflb.ashx
- 31.Tegner Y, Lysholm J (1985) Rating systems in the evaluation of knee ligament injuries. Clin Orthop Relat Res 198:43–49Google Scholar
- 32.The New Zealand Joint Registry Fourteen Year Report (2013). http://www.nzoa.org.nz/system/files/NJR%2014%20Year%20Report.pdf