Clinical results and second-look arthroscopic findings after treatment with adipose-derived stem cells for knee osteoarthritis
In the present study, the clinical outcomes and second-look arthroscopic findings of intra-articular injection of stem cells with arthroscopic lavage for treatment of elderly patients with knee osteoarthritis (OA) were evaluated.
Stem cell injections combined with arthroscopic lavage were administered to 30 elderly patients (≥65 years) with knee OA. Subcutaneous adipose tissue was harvested from both buttocks by liposuction. After stromal vascular fractions were isolated, a mean of 4.04 × 106 stem cells (9.7 % of 4.16 × 107 stromal vascular fraction cells) were prepared and injected in the selected knees of patients after arthroscopic lavage. Outcome measures included the Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Scores, visual analog scale, and Lysholm score at preoperative and 3-, 12-, and 2-year follow-up visits. Sixteen patients underwent second-look arthroscopy.
Almost all patients showed significant improvement in all clinical outcomes at the final follow-up examination. All clinical results significantly improved at 2-year follow-up compared to 12-month follow-up (P < 0.05). Among elderly patients aged >65 years, only five patients demonstrated worsening of Kellgren–Lawrence grade. On second-look arthroscopy, 87.5 % of elderly patients (14/16) improved or maintained cartilage status at least 2 years postoperatively. Moreover, none of the patients underwent total knee arthroplasty during this 2-year period.
Adipose-derived stem cell therapy for elderly patients with knee OA was effective in cartilage healing, reducing pain, and improving function. Therefore, adipose-derived stem cell treatment appears to be a good option for OA treatment in elderly patients.
Level of evidence
Therapeutic case series study, Level IV.
KeywordsMesenchymal stem cell Arthroscopic lavage Knee osteoarthritis
- 2.Bosnakovski D, Mizuno M, Kim G, Takagi S, Okumura M, Fujinaga T (2006) Chondrogenic differentiation of bovine bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) in different hydrogels: influence of collagen type II extracellular matrix on MSC chondrogenesis. Biotechnol Bioeng 93:1152–1163CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Desando G, Cavallo C, Sartoni F, Martini L, Parrilli A, Veronesi F, Fini M, Giardino R, Facchini A, Grigolo B (2013) Intra-articular delivery of adipose derived stromal cells attenuates osteoarthritis progression in an experimental rabbit model. Arthritis Res Ther 15:R22–R42CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Garcia-Olmo D, Garcia-Arranz M, Garcia LG, Cuellar ES, Blanco IF, Prianes LA, Montes JA, Pinto FL, Marcos DH, Garcia-Sancho L (2003) Autologous stem cell transplantation for treatment of rectovaginal fistula in perianal Crohn’s disease: a new cell-based therapy. Int J Colorectal Dis 18:451–454CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Marchal JA, Picon M, Peran M, Bueno C, Jimenez-Navarro M, Carrillo E, Boulaiz H, Rodriguez N, Alvarez P, Menendez P, de Teresa E, Aranega A (2012) Purification and long-term expansion of multipotent endothelial-like cells with potential cardiovascular regeneration. Stem Cells Dev 21:562–574CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Nemeth K, Leelahavanichkul A, Yuen PS, Mayer B, Parmelee A, Doi K, Robey PG, Leelahavanichkul K, Koller BH, Brown JM, Hu X, Jelinek I, Star RA, Mezey E (2009) Bone marrow stromal cells attenuate sepsis via prostaglandin E(2)-dependent reprogramming of host macrophages to increase their interleukin-10 production. Nat Med 15:42–49CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Puissant B, Barreau C, Bourin P, Clavel C, Corre J, Bousquet C, Taureau C, Cousin B, Abbal M, Laharrague P, Penicaud L, Casteilla L, Blancher A (2005) Immunomodulatory effect of human adipose tissue-derived adult stem cells: comparison with bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells. Br J Haematol 129:118–129CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Reichenbach S, Rutjes AW, Nuesch E, Trelle S, Juni P (2010) Joint lavage for osteoarthritis of the knee. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 5:1–45Google Scholar
- 33.Tarte K, Gaillard J, Lataillade JJ, Fouillard L, Becker M, Mossafa H, Tchirkov A, Rouard H, Henry C, Splingard M, Dulong J, Monnier D, Gourmelon P, Gorin NC, Sensebe L, Societe Francaise de Greffe de Moelle et Therapie C (2010) Clinical-grade production of human mesenchymal stromal cells: occurrence of aneuploidy without transformation. Blood 115:1549–1553CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.ter Huurne M, Schelbergen R, Blattes R, Blom A, de Munter W, Grevers LC, Jeanson J, Noel D, Casteilla L, Jorgensen C, van den Berg W, van Lent PL (2012) Antiinflammatory and chondroprotective effects of intraarticular injection of adipose-derived stem cells in experimental osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 64:3604–3613CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar