Convective and absolute instabilities in non-Boussinesq mixed convection
- 127 Downloads
The problem of non-Boussinesq mixed convection in a vertical channel formed by two differentially heated infinite plates is investigated and the complete convective/absolute instability boundary is computed for a wide range of physical parameters. A physical insight into the mechanisms causing instabilities is given. In particular, it is shown that the appearance of absolute instability is always dictated by a flow reversal within a channel; however, existence of the flow reversal does not exclude the possibility of convective instability. It is also shown that fluid’s non-linear transport property variations have a dramatic effect on the structure and complexity of spatio-temporal instabilities of the co-existing buoyancy and shear modes as the temperature difference across the channel increases. The validity of the stability results obtained using the procedure described in Suslov (J Comp Phys 212, 188–217, 2006) is assessed using the method of steepest descent.
KeywordsSpatio-temporal instability Non-Boussinesq convection Mixed convection
PACS47.20Bp 47.55.P 47.15.Fe
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bleistein N. and Handelsman R.A. (1986). Asymptotic Expansions of Integrals. Dover Publications, Inc., New York Google Scholar
- 6.Briggs R.J. (1964). Electron-stream interactions with plasmas. Chap. 2. MIT Press, Cambridge Google Scholar
- 12.Fukui K., Nakajima M., Ueda H., Suzaki K. and Mizushina T. (1982). Flow instability and transport phenomena in combined free and forced convection between vertical parallel plates. J. Chem. Eng. Jpn. 15: 172–180 Google Scholar
- 19.Paolucci, S.: On the filtering of sound from the Navier-Stokes equations. Tech. Rep. SAND82-8257, Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, California (1982)Google Scholar
- 21.Suslov S.A. (2001). Flow patterns near codimension-2 bifurcation in non-Boussinesq mixed convection. In: Shalfeev, V. (eds) Proceedings of the International Conference Dedicated to the 100th Anniversary of A.A. Andronov, Progress in Nonlinear Science, vol. 3, pp 363–368. Nizhniy Novgorod, Russia Google Scholar
- 25.Suslov S.A. and Paolucci S. (1997). Non-Boussinesq convection in a tall cavity near the codimension-2 point. In: Ulucakli, M.E. (eds) Proceedings of the ASME Heat Transfer Division, vol. 3, HTD-353, pp 243–250. ASME Press, New York Google Scholar