Structural topology optimization for directional deformation behavior design with the orthotropic artificial weak element method
- 292 Downloads
In this paper, the topology optimization method is extended to arrive at the desired deformation behavior within local structural domains by distinguishing and suppressing specific deformation in a certain direction. Compared to the standard topology optimization and existing shape preserving design method, the contribution of this paper is twofold. First, Artificial Weak Elements (AWE) are defined and attached to the appropriate local domain. The strain energies of the AWE are calculated as a measurement to describe the deformation behavior quantitatively. Second, particular orthotropic material properties are defined for the AWE according to the given direction of the desired deformation, which formulate Orthotropic Artificial Weak Elements (AWE ort ). By introducing the constraint on the strain energy of the AWE ort into a standard compliance based topology optimization, the deformation in the corresponding direction is suppressed, resulting in the desired deformation behavior. Several numerical examples are tested and compared to the standard topological design to illustrate the effect of the directional deformation behavior design.
KeywordsTopology optimization Directional deformation behavior design Strain energy Orthotropic artificial weak element (AWEort)
This work is supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (11432011, 11620101002), National Key Research and Development Program (2017YFB1102800), Key Research and Development Program of Shaanxi (S2017-ZDYF-ZDXM-GY-0035).
- Gao T, Qiu L, Zhang W (2017) Topology optimization of continuum structures subjected to the variance constraint of reaction forces. Struct Multidiscip Optim. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-017-1742-0
- Gonlinval JC (2011) Mechanical design of turbojet engines - an introduction. Textbook of University of Liege, AERO0015–1Google Scholar
- Hou J, Zhu JH, He F, Zhang WH (2017) Topology optimization of stiffeners layout with constraints on the multi-fastener joint loads. Chin J Aeronaut. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cja.2017.05.005
- James KA, Waisman H (2016) Layout design of a bi-stable cardiovascular stent using topology optimization. Comput Methods Appl Mech Eng. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2016.02.036
- Sigmund O (2001) A 99 line topology optimization code written in Matlab. Struct Multidiscip Optim 21:120–127Google Scholar
- Svanberg K (2007) On a globally convergent version of MMA. 7th World Congress on structural and multidisciplinary optimization. COEX Seoul, KoreaGoogle Scholar
- Zhang JX, Wang B, Niu F (2014) Optimal design of concentrated force diffusion for short shell structure using hierarchical radial ribs (in Chinese). Chinese J Comput Mech 31(2):141–148Google Scholar
- Zhu JH, Zhang WH, Beckers P (2009) Inergrated layout design of multi-componment system. Int J Number Methods Eng 78:631–651Google Scholar