Optimal shapes of parametrically excited beams
- 102 Downloads
Straight elastically supported beams of variable width under the action of a periodic axial force are considered. Two shape optimization problems for reducing parametric resonance zones are studied. In the first problem, the minimal (critical) amplitude of the excitation force is maximized. In the second problem, the range of resonant frequencies is minimized for a given parametric resonance zone and a fixed amplitude of excitation. These two optimization problems are proved to be equivalent in the case of small external damping and small excitation force amplitude. It is shown that optimal designs have strong universal character, i.e. they depend only on the natural modes involved in the parametric resonance and boundary conditions. An efficient numerical method of optimization is developed. Optimal beam shapes are found for different boundary conditions and resonant modes. Experiments for uniform and optimal simply supported elastic beams have been conducted demonstrating a very good agreement with theoretical prediction.
Keywordselastic beam shape optimization parametric resonance singularity sensitivity analysis experiment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Batchelor, G.K. 1999: An introduction to fluid dynamics. Cambridge: Cambridge University PressGoogle Scholar
- 2.Guckenheimer, J.; Holmes, P. 1983: Nonlinear Oscillations, Dynamical Systems, and Bifurcations of Vector Fields. New York: SpringerGoogle Scholar
- 3.Iwatsubo, T.; Saigo, M.; Sugiyama, Y. 1973: Parametric instability of clamped-clamped and clamped-simply supported columns under periodic axial load. J Sound Vib30, 65–77Google Scholar
- 4.Langthjem, M.A. 1996: Dynamics, stability and optimal design of structures with fluid interaction, DCAMM Report no. S 71. Lyngby: Technical University of DenmarkGoogle Scholar
- 5.Langthjem, M.A.; Sugiyama, Y. 2000: Dynamic stability of columns subjected to follower loads: a survey. J Sound Vib238, 809–851Google Scholar
- 6.Mailybaev, A.A.; Seyranian, A.P. 2001: Parametric resonance in systems with small dissipation. J Appl Math Mech65, 755–767Google Scholar
- 7.Pedersen, P. 1982–83: Design with several eigenvalue constraints by finite elements and linear programming. J Struct Mech10, 243–271Google Scholar
- 8.Seyranian, A.P.; Mailybaev, A.A. 2003: Multiparameter Stability Theory with Mechanical Applications. Singapore: World ScientificGoogle Scholar
- 9.Seyranian, A.P.; Privalova, O.G. 2003: The Lagrange problem on an optimal column: old and new results. Struct Multidisc Optim25, 393–410Google Scholar
- 10.Seyranian, A.P.; Solem, F.; Pedersen, P. 2000: Multiparameter linear periodic systems: sensitivity analysis and applications. J Sound Vib229, 89–111Google Scholar
- 11.Yabuno, H.; Ide, Y.; Aoshima, N. 1998: Nonlinear analysis of a parametrically excited cantilever beam (effect of the tip mass on stationary response). JSME Int J Series C41, 555–562Google Scholar