What’s new in ICU in 2050: big data and machine learning
- 1.2k Downloads
The era of big data
The amount of digitalized data that the world produces today is by all measures unseen and spectacular. Social media, e-commerce, and the Internet of things generate approximately 2.5 quintillions of bytes per day, an amount that equals 100 million Blu-ray discs, or almost 30,000 GB per second. Data grows exponentially, and 90% of all data on the Internet has been created since 2016. This trend will continue in the next decades . Such datasets of unimaginable size cannot be maintained with traditional database management technology, or examined with traditional statistical techniques. The general term for methods to manage and analyze such unstructured datasets is “big data”. Although the term is often ill-defined and improperly used, the five “Vs” concept is a good summary: Volume, Velocity, Variety, Veracity, and Value referring to, respectively, the large quantity of data; the speed of acquisition; the diversity of data sources; the uncertain data quality;...
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- 1.Ffoulkes P (2017) InsideBIGDATA guide to the intelligent use of big data on an industrial scale. InsideBIGDATA, MassachusettsGoogle Scholar
- 10.Perner A, Gordon AC, Angus DC, Lamontagne F, Machado F, Russell JA, Timsit JF, Marshall JC, Myburgh J, Shankar-Hari M, Singer M (2017) The intensive care medicine research agenda on septic shock. Intensive Care Med 43:1294–1305Google Scholar
- 12.Bailly S, Bouadma L, Azoulay E, Orgeas MG, Adrie C, Souweine B, Schwebel C, Maubon D, Hamidfar-Roy R, Darmon M, Wolff M, Cornet M, Timsit JF (2015) Failure of empirical systemic antifungal therapy in mechanically ventilated critically ill patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 191:1139–1146CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Timsit JF, Azoulay E, Schwebel C, Charles PE, Cornet M, Souweine B, Klouche K, Jaber S, Trouillet JL, Bruneel F, Argaud L, Cousson J, Meziani F, Gruson D, Paris A, Darmon M, Garrouste-Orgeas M, Navellou JC, Foucrier A, Allaouchiche B, Das V, Gangneux JP, Ruckly S, Maubon D, Jullien V, Wolff M, EMPIRICUS Trial Group (2016) Empirical micafungin treatment and survival without invasive fungal infection in adults with ICU-acquired sepsis, candida colonization, and multiple organ failure: the EMPIRICUS randomized clinical trial. JAMA 316:1555–1564CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Flechet M, Guiza F, Schetz M, Wouters P, Vanhorebeek I, Derese I, Gunst J, Spriet I, Casaer M, Van den Berghe G, Meyfroidt G (2017) AKIpredictor, an online prognostic calculator for acute kidney injury in adult critically ill patients: development, validation and comparison to serum neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin. Intensive Care Med 43:764–773CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar