Stress-Induced Transcriptional Changes and DNA Damage Associated with Bis(2-ethylhexyl) Adipate Exposure in Zebrafish (Danio rerio) Larvae
- 212 Downloads
The present study evaluates potential toxic effects of bis(2-ethylhexyl) adipate (DEHA) plasticizer to larval (72 h post fertilization) zebrafish (Danio rerio) by analyzing changes in expression levels of stress-related genes (p53, rad51 and xrcc5) and assessing possible DNA damage of DEHA in larvae. The lethal concentration for 50% mortality (LC50) in larval zebrafish exposed for 96 h to 0–200 mg L−1 DEHA was 89.9 ± 8.03 mg L−1. A concentration-dependent increase in DNA strand breaks was detected in cells from larvae exposed for 96 h to DEHA. There were some significant differences in induction of stress-related genes in larvae exposed to DEHA relative to control.
KeywordsBis(2-ethylhexyl) adipate Gene expression Genotoxicity Acute toxicity Zebrafish
This project was funded by Recep Tayyip Erdoğan University, Scientific Research Projects Fund (Project No. 2015.53001.103.01.02). The information contained in this article was extracted from a master’s thesis by the author, Serap Terzi.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflicts of interest in the present work.
- Cheng R, Ford BL, O’Neal PE, Mathews CZ, Bradford CS, Thongtan T, Barnes DW, Hendricks JD, Bailey GS (1997) Zebrafish (Danio rerio) p53 tumor suppressor gene: cDNA sequence and expression during embryogenesis. Mol Mar Biol Biotechnol 6:88–97Google Scholar
- Demir APT, Ulutan S (2013) Migration of phthalate and non-phthalate plasticizers out of plasticized PVC films into air. J Appl Polym Sci 128:1948–1961Google Scholar
- European Commission Joint Research Centre (2000) IUCLID CD-ROM, year 2000 edn. Public data on high volume chemicals. EUR 19559 EN. European Chemical Bureau, HelsinkiGoogle Scholar
- Schmid P, Lorenz A, Hameister H, Montenarh M (1991) Expression of p53 during mouse embryogenesis. Development 113:857–865Google Scholar
- Stuer-Lauridsen F, Mikkelsen S, Havelund S, Birkved M, Hansen LP (2001) COWI Consulting engineers and planners AS, environmental project No. 590: environmental and health assessment of alternatives to phthalates and to flexible PVC. Dan Environ Prot Agency. http://www2.mst.dk/udgiv/Publications/2001/87-7944-407-5/pdf/87-7944-408-3.pdf. Accessed 10 Apr 2017
- Suggatt RH, Foote K (1981) Comprehensive review of acute aquatic toxicity data on phthalate esters. Contract SRC TR 81–537. Syracuse Research Corporation, Final Report. Syracuse Research Corporation, SyracuseGoogle Scholar
- Thisse C, Neel H, Thisse B, Daujat S, Piette J (2000) The Mdm2 gene of zebrafish (Danio rerio): preferential expression during development of neural and muscular tissues, and absence of tumor formation after overexpression of its cDNAduring early embryogenesis. Differentiation 66:61–70CrossRefGoogle Scholar