Chlorpyrifos-Treated Crops in the Vicinity of Surface Water Contamination in the San Joaquin Valley, California, USA
- 445 Downloads
Due to frequent contamination of streams in the San Joaquin Valley, California, USA, with the insecticide chlorpyrifos, researchers are working to identify crop-specific management practices that will reduce the offsite movement of this compound into surface waters. To guide this effort, crops treated with chlorpyrifos in the vicinity of contaminated streams were identified; walnut, alfalfa, and almond were the primary crops identified. Use was higher on walnut and almond, but due to irrigation practices offsite movement in surface runoff may be more likely from alfalfa. Based on these findings, development of management practices to reduce off-site movement of chlorpyrifos in irrigation runoff from treated alfalfa fields is recommended.
KeywordsChlorpyrifos Surface water Agriculture Off site movement Alfalfa
We would like to thank Frank Spurlock for his technical review, as well as for his many valuable contributions to our projects over the years. Thanks to all involved in the development of data used here, including staff from USGS, California RWQCB (monitoring data), and DPR’s Pest Management and Analysis Program and County Ag Commissioners Offices (PUR data). The mention of commercial products, their source, or use in connection with material reported herein is not to be construed as either an actual or implied endorsement of such product.
- CDPR (2012a) California Pesticide Use Data. CDPR. Accessed 2 Jul 2012 http://calpip.cdpr.ca.gov/main.cfm
- CDPR (2012b) Surface water protection program, CDPR. Accessed 2 Jul 2012 http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/emon/surfwtr/surfdata.htm
- CDWR (2010) Statewide irrigation methods survey, 2010 http://www.water.ca.gov/landwateruse/surveys.cfm Accessed 19 Nov 2012
- CIWMC (2012) California interagency watershed mapping committee, CalWater. Accessed 3 Jul 2012. http://cain.ice.ucdavis.edu/calwater/
- CVRWQCB (2009) Water quality control plan for the Sacramento River and San Joaquin River Basins. CVRWQCB. Accessed 5 Nov 2012 http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/rwqcb5/water_issues/basin_plans/
- Goh KS, Bret B, Potter T, Gan J (eds) (2011) Pesticide mitigation strategies for surface water quality, ACS Symposium Series 1075. Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Larson J, Capel PD, Majewski MS (1991) Pesticides in surface waters: distributions, trends, and governing factors. Ann Arbor Press, Inc., Chelsea, pp 217–233Google Scholar
- Schulz R (2004) Field studies on exposure, effects, and risk mitigation of aquatic nonpoint-source insecticide pollution: a review. J Environ Qual 33:419–448Google Scholar
- SDTF (1997) A summary of aerial application studies. Spray Drift Task Force. Accessed May 7, 2013 http://www.agdrift.com/Text%20pages/Pub_PDF.htm
- US EPA (2006) Reregistration eligibility decision (RED) for chlorpyrifos. US, EPA, Washington, DC. Accessed 30 Nov 2012 http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/chlorpyrifos_red.pdf