Assessment of Cadmium, Copper, Lead and Zinc Contamination Using Oysters (Saccostrea cucullata) as Biomonitors on the Coast of the Persian Gulf, Iran
- 332 Downloads
The levels of Cd, Cu, Pb and Zn in surface sediment, soft tissue and shell of the oyster Saccostrea cucullata collected from three locations, in the intertidal zones of Lengeh Port, northern part of Persian Gulf were measured. Results indicated that there were a positive correlation across Zn (r = 0.58, p = 0.025), Cd (r = 0.74, p < 0.01) and Cu (r = 0.80, p < 0.01) levels in the soft tissue of oyster and sediment which supported this fact that the soft tissue of S. cucullata can be considered as biomonitoring agent for Cd, Zn and Cu in the Lengeh Port.
KeywordsMetals Saccostrea cucullata Lengeh port Persian Gulf
We are grateful to Mr. Argangi for his valuable help in conduction of sampling operations.
- Azarbad H, Javanshir KhoiA, Mirvaghefi A, Danekar A, Shapoori M (2010) Biosorption and bioaccumulation of heavy metals by rock oyster Saccostrea cucullata in the Persian Gulf. Int Aqua Res 2:61–69Google Scholar
- Boran M, Altinok I (2010) A review of heavy metals in water, sediment and living organisms in the Black Sea Turkish. J Fish Aquat Sci 10(1–2):565–572Google Scholar
- Frias-Espericueta MG, Osuna-Lopez I, Banuelos-Vargas I, Lopez–Lopez G, Muy-Rangel MD, Izaguirre-Fierro G, Rubio-Carrasco W, Meza-Guerrero PC, Voltolina D (2009) Cadmium, copper, lead, and zinc contents of of the mangrove oyster Crassostrea corteziensis of seven coastal Lagoons of NW Mexico. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 83:95–99CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Noorhaidah A, Yap CK (2010) Correlations between speciation of Zn in sediment and Zn concentrations in different soft tissues of the gastropod mollusc Telescopium telescopium Collected from Intertidal Areas of Peninsular Malaysia Pertanika. J Trop Agric Sci 33(1):79–90Google Scholar
- Peer FE, Safahieh A, Sohrab AD, Tochaii SP (2010) Heavy metal concentrations in rock oyster Saccostrea cucullata from Iranian coasts of the Oman Sea Trakia. J Sci 8:79–86Google Scholar
- Raposo JC, Bartolome M, Cortazar E, Arana G, Zabaljauregui M, De Deigo A, Zuloaga O, Madariaga JM, Etxebarria N (2009) Trace metals in oysters, Crassotrea sps., from UNESCO Protected Natural Reserve of Urdaibai: space–time observations and source identification. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 83:223–229CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yap CK, Hatta Y, Edward FB, Tan SG (2008) Distribution of heavy metal concentrations (Cd, Cu, Ni, Fe and Zn) in the different soft tissues and shells of wild mussels Perna viridis collected from BAGAN TIANG and KUALA KEDAH Malaysian. Appl Biol 37(2):1–10Google Scholar