Effects of Pesticide Formulations and Active Ingredients on the Coelenterate Hydra attenuata (Pallas, 1766)
- 333 Downloads
Lethal effects of active ingredients and formulations of widely used soybean pesticides were assessed with the Hydra attenuata toxicity test. Studied pesticides were insecticides chlorpyrifos and cypermethrin, and herbicide glyphosate. Results indicate the following toxicity trend: chlorpyrifos > cypermethrin > glyphosate. Tested active ingredients of insecticides and respective formulations did not significantly differ between them. Glyphosate formulation exhibited higher toxicity at low concentrations (LC1–10) respect to active ingredient, reversing this behavior at higher concentrations (LC50–90). Comparing H. attenuata sensitivity with existent toxicity data for aquatic organisms indicates that this species is poorly sensitive to tested insecticides and highly sensitive to the herbicide.
KeywordsHerbicides Insecticides Toxicity Hydra
Funds for this study were from ANPCyT Project PICT-38350, Argentinean Ministry of Science and Technology. The authors wish to thank Dr. Damián Marino for chemical analysis of samples and Courtney Knipp for editorial suggestions.
- Bindraban PS, Franke AC, Ferraro DO, Ghersa CM, Lot LAP, Nepomuceno A, Smulders MJM, van de Wiel CCM (2009) GM related sustainability: agroecological impacts, risks and opportunities of soy production in Argentina and Brazil. Plant Research International, Wageningen URGoogle Scholar
- CASAFE (2008) Cámara de Sanidad Agropecuaria y Fertilizantes, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Available from http://www.casafe.org. Accessed Dec 2010
- Finney DJ (1971) Probit analysis. Cambridge University Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Ronco A, Gagnon P, Diaz-Baez MC, Arkhipchuk V, Castillo G, Castillo LE, Dutka BJ, Pica-Granados Y, Ridal J, Srivastava RC, Sánchez A (2002) Overview of results from the watertox intercalibration and environmental testing phase II program: part 1, statistical analysis of blind sample testing. Environ Toxicol 17:232–240CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ronco A, Carriquiriborde P, Natale G, Martin M, Mugni H, Bonetto C (2008) Integrated approach for the assessment of biotech soybean pesticides impact on low order stream ecosystems of the Pampasic Region. In: Chen J, Guo C (eds) Ecosystem ecology research. Nova Science, Hauppauge, pp 209–239Google Scholar
- USEPA (2007). ECOTOX User Guide: ECOTOXicology Database System. Environmental Protection Agency. Version 4.0. Available: http://www.epa.gov/ecotox/
- Zar JH (1998) Biostatistical analysis. Prentice Hall, New JerseyGoogle Scholar