Effects of Glyphosate and 2,4-D on Earthworms (Eisenia foetida) in Laboratory Tests
- 1.2k Downloads
Laboratory tests were conducted to compare the effects of various concentrations of glyphosate and 2,4-D on earthworms (Eisenia foetida) cultured in Argissol during 56 days of incubation. The effects on earthworm growth, survival, and reproduction rates were verified for different exposure times. Earthworms kept in glyphosate-treated soil were classified as alive in all evaluations, but showed gradual and significant reduction in mean weight (50%) at all test concentrations. For 2,4-D, 100% mortality was observed in soil treated with 500 and 1,000 mg/kg. At 14 days, 30%–40% mortality levels were observed in all other concentrations. No cocoons or juveniles were found in soil treated with either herbicide. Glyphosate and 2,4-D demonstrated severe effects on the development and reproduction of Eisenia foetida in laboratory tests in the range of test concentrations.
KeywordsTerrestrial ecotoxicology Earthworm Eisenia foetida Contaminated soils Herbicides
The study was funded by the Brazilian National Research Council (CNPq, Grant 555193) and the Rio de Janeiro State Research Foundation (FAPERJ, Call for Projects 10/2009).
- EMBRAPA – Empresa Brasileira de Pesquisa Agropecuária (1997) Centro Nacional de Pesquisa em Solos. Manual de métodos de análise de solo, 2ª. ed. Rio de Janeiro, 212pGoogle Scholar
- Dechema (1995) Biologische Testmethoden für Böden, 4. Bericht des interdisziplinären Arbeitskreises “Umweltbiotechnologie–Boden”; Ad-hoc-Arbeitsgruppe “Methoden zur ökotoxikologischen/ökotoxikologischen Bewertung von Böden” der DECHEMA e.V., Schön and Wetzel, Frankfurt A.M., GermanyGoogle Scholar
- ISO 11268-1 (1993) International Standard ISO 11268-1, 1993. Soil quality – effects of pollutants on earthworms (Eisenia fetida). 1. Determination of Acute Toxicity Using Artificial Soil Substrate. International Organization for Standardization, GenfGoogle Scholar
- ISO 11268-2 (1998) International Standard ISO 11268-2, 1998. Soil quality – effects of pollutants on earthworms (Eisenia fetida). 2. Determination of Effects on Reproduction. International Organization for Standardization, GenfGoogle Scholar
- Martin NA (1982) The effects of herbicides used on asparagus on the growth rate of the earthworm Allobophora caliginosa. In: Proceedings of the 35th New Zealand Weed and Pest Control Conference, pp 328–331Google Scholar
- WHO Pesticide Residues in Food (1997) Part II – Toxicological and Environmental. WHO/PCS/98.6: 255–346Google Scholar