Effect of bamboo bundle knitting on enhancing properties of bamboo scrimber
Bamboo scrimber is a promising material increasingly explored for structural applications. It has mechanical properties comparable to other structural materials. The manufacturing of commercial bamboo scrimber requires forming of the mat manually which is of low efficiency and results in the uneven density profile over the cross section. The present study innovated bamboo-bundle knitting process in manufacturing of bamboo scrimber, and the effect of bamboo bundle knitting on enhancing properties of bamboo scrimber was evaluated. Results of the study indicated that the mat formation efficiency and uniformity improved considerably after bamboo bundle knitting. The dimensional stability of knitted bamboo scrimber can meet the standard requirements for both indoor and outdoor use. ANOVA test results revealed that bamboo bundle knitting process has significant influence on thickness swelling (indoor and outdoor use), width swelling (indoor use) and shear strength (P < 0.01). The improved properties were contributed by more uniform structure and even density profile over the cross section. Further study is needed to be done on the overall properties of knitted bamboo scrimber to provide data for analyzing its use as outdoor or structural material.
The presented work is supported by National Key Research & Development Program of China ; Integration and Demonstration of the Value-dded & Efficiency-increased Technology across the Industry Chain for Bamboo (2016YFD0600904).
- Ding XG, Cai HJ, Wu ZX, Chen Y, Zhang JF (2007) Systematic analysis on quick development of bamboo industry in study for successful Zhejiang province: a case development approach of China’s booming bamboo industry. China For Sci Tech 6:74–82Google Scholar
- Jiang ZH (2007) Bamboo and rattan in the world. China forestry publishing house, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Lopez LF, Correal JF (2009) Exploratory study of the glued laminated bamboo Guadua angustifolia as a structural material. Maderas Cienciay Tecnol 11(3):171–182Google Scholar
- Qiu YX, Wang G, Chen FM, Lin LM, Cheng HT (2013) Uniformity characteristic for the physical and mechanical properties of bamboo-bundle laminated veneer lumber. China For Prod Ind 40(2):47–49Google Scholar
- Sulastiningsih IM (2009) Physical and mechanical properties of laminated bamboo board. J Trop For Sci 21(3):246–251Google Scholar
- Yu WJ (2012) Current status and future development of bamboo scrimber industry in China. China Wood Ind 1:10–14Google Scholar
- Yu YL (2014) Manufacturing technology and mechanism of high performance bamboo-based fiber composites. Doctoral dissertation, Chinese academy of forestryGoogle Scholar
- Yu WJ, Yu YL (2013) Development and prospect of wood and bamboo scrimber industry in China. China Wood Ind 27(1):5–8Google Scholar
- Yu YL, Huang XA, Yu WJ (2015a) High performance of bamboo-based fiber composites from long bamboo fiber bundles and phenolic resins. J Appl Polym Sci 131(12):83–98Google Scholar