Isolated Intracranial Myeloid Sarcoma at Age 6 Months with Metastases
Myeloid sarcoma (MS) is a neoplasm formed by the infiltration of protogranulocytes or immature myeloid cells into organs and tissues other than bone marrow . It can be associated with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) or chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) and other myeloproliferative disorders at the same time or before or after . Isolated MS is defined as the disease without evidence of AML in bone marrow biopsy and failure to develop into AML within 30 days after the diagnosis of MS, which has an incidence of approximately 2 out of 1 million adults and 0.7 out of 1 million children; however, in infants it is even rarer [3, 4]. An MS can invade any anatomical site , the occurrence of MS in the central nervous system (CNS) is rare  and isolated primary intracranial MS should be carefully considered. This article presents a unique case of isolated intracranial MS at in a 6‑month-old patient with extensive brain metastases to highlight the unusual clinical and imaging...
Conflict of interest
J. Zhu, S. Thapa, X. Wang, C. Jiang, Y. Qu and Z. Wen declare that they have no competing interests.
- 1.Yilmaz AF, Saydam G, Sahin F, Baran Y. Granulocytic sarcoma: a systematic review. Am J Blood Res. 2013;3:265–70.Google Scholar
- 3.Movassaghian M, Brunner AM, Blonquist TM, Sadrzadeh H, Bhatia A, Perry AM, Attar EC, Amrein PC, Ballen KK, Neuberg DS, Fathi AT. Presentation and outcomes among patients with isolated myeloid sarcoma: a surveillance, epidemiology, and end results database analysis. Leuk Lymphoma. 2015;56:1698–703.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Oestgaard LSG, Sengeloev H, Holm MS, Johnsen HE, Severinsen MT, Kjeldsen E, Bergmann OJ, Friis LS, Jensen MK, Nielsen OJ, Kjeldsen L, Norgaard JM. Extramedullary leukemia and myeloid sarcoma in AML: results from a population-based registry study of 2261 patients. Blood. 2011;118:2003.Google Scholar
- 20.Pileri SA, Ascani S, Cox MC, Campidelli C, Bacci F, Piccioli M, Piccaluga PP, Agostinelli C, Asioli S, Novero D, Bisceglia M, Ponzoni M, Gentile A, Rinaldi P, Franco V, Vincelli D, Pileri A Jr, Gasbarra R, Falini B, Zinzani PL, Baccarani M. Myeloid sarcoma: clinico-pathologic, phenotypic and cytogenetic analysis of 92 adult patients. Leukemia. 2007;21:340–50.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Taga T, Imamura T, Nakashima K, Maeda N, Watanabe A, Miyajima Y, Sakaguchi S, Sano H, Hasegawa D, Kawasaki H, Adachi S, Takagi M, Koh K, Manabe A, Taki T, Ishida Y. Clinical characteristics of pediatric patients with myeloid sarcoma without bone marrow involvement in Japan. Int J Hematol. 2018;108:438–42.CrossRefGoogle Scholar