Heterocycles 39. Synthesis, characterization and evaluation of the anti-inflammatory activity of thiazolo[3,2-b][1,2,4]triazole derivatives bearing pyridin-3/4-yl moiety
A series of pyridin-3/4-yl-thiazolo[3,2-b][1,2,4]triazole derivatives (5a–g, 6a–g) were synthesised by Hantzsch condensation of 5-pyridin-3/4-yl-1,2,4-triazole-3-thiol and diverse α-halocarbonyl compounds. Different reaction conditions (pH, temperature, solvent) were investigated for the efficient obtention of the target compounds. Under reflux and acidic conditions, the Hantzsch condensation was a one-step reaction. At room temperature and under basic conditions, it was possible to isolate the iminothioether intermediates 3/4a–g. These intermediates were cyclized in a subsequent step by treatment with concentrated sulphuric acid. The obtained compounds were evaluated for their anti-inflammatory activity. Three synthesised pyridyl-thiazolo[3,2-b][1,2,4]triazole derivatives (6c, 6d, 6f) were found to be good anti-inflammatory agents.
KeywordsThiazolo[3,2-b][1,2,4]triazole Pyridine Anti-inflammatory activity
This study was possible with the financial support of the European Social Fund, under the project POSDRU number 107/1.5/S/78702.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- Barbuceanu SF, Bancescu G, Draghici C, Barbuceanu F, Cretu OD, Apostol TV, Bancescu A (2012) Synthesis and antibacterial activity of some triazole, thiadiazole and oxadiazole derivatives. Rev Chem 63:362–366Google Scholar
- Creanga AA, Bercean VN, Badea V, Patras AI, Cocarta AI, Tatu CA, Csunderlik C (2010) Comparative study of the synthesis of some 5(2-,3-,4-pyridil)substituted-4H-4-amino-3-mercapto-1,2,4-triazoles. Rev Chim 61:1169–1172Google Scholar
- Liu H, Yi L, Wang XY, Wang B, He HY, Liu JY, Xiang ML, He J, Wu XH, Yang L (2013) Synthesis, preliminary structure–activity relationships, and in vitro biological evaluation of 6-aryl-3-amino-thieno[2,3-b]pyridine derivatives as potential anti-inflammatory agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 23:2349–2352CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Palage M, Zaharia V, Simiti I (1997) Heterocycles 77: quaternary ammonium salts and nitrones in the 2-aryl-thiazole-[3.2-b]-1,2,4-triazole. Correlations between chemical structure and biological activity. Farmacia 45(3):37–46Google Scholar
- PubChem (2004) Compound summary for CID 56692339. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/56692339?from=summary#section=Top. Accessed 12 Sep 2015
- Romagnoli R, Baraldi PG, Salvador MK, Camacho ME, Preti D, Tabrizi AM, Bassetto M, Brancale A, Hamel E, Bortolozzi R, Basso G, Viola G (2012) Synthesis and biological evaluation of 2-substituted-4-(3’,4’,5’-trimetoxy-phenyl)-5-aryl thiazoles as anticancer agents. Bioorg Med Chem 20:7083–7094CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Shelke SH, Mhaske PC, Nandave M, Narkhade S, Walhekar MN, Bobade DV (2012) Synthesis and pharmacological evaluation of a novel series of 3-aryl-2-(2-substituted-4-methylthiazole-5-yl)thiazolidin-4-one as possible anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 22:6373–6376CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Short KM, Pham SM, Williams DC, Datta S (2011) Multisubstituted aromatic compounds as inhibitors of thrombin. Patent WO2011/126903Google Scholar
- Zaharia D, Zaharia V, Matinca D, Simiti I (1999) L’obtention et l’evaluation de l’activite antimicrobienne de quelques 2-aryl-5-r-thiazolo [3,2-b]1,2,4-triazoles. Farmacia 47:51–60Google Scholar
- Zaharia V, Imre S, Palibroda N (2009) Heterocycles. Obtaining and physico-chemical characterization of some thiazolo and thiazolo [3,2-b][1,2,4]triazolic hydroxy-heterochalcones. Rev Chim 60:391–397Google Scholar
- Zaharia V, Silvestru A, Palibroda N, Mogoşan C (2011) Heterocycles 28. Synthesis and characterization of some bis and polyheterocyclic compounds with anti-inflammatory potential. Farmacia 59:624–635Google Scholar