A fast affinity extraction methodology for rapid screening of bioactive compounds specifically binding to beta2-adrenergic receptor from Xie-Bai-San
- 118 Downloads
Despite promising progress in series of techniques for drug discovery, the number of approved drugs has decreased in recent decades due to the lack of high efficient methods for candidate screening. In this work, immobilized beta2-adrenergic receptor was utilized to develop a new method for screening bioactive compounds from complex prescription, involving oriented immobilization of beta2-adrenergic receptor through diazonium reaction, the fast affinity extraction of bioactive compounds from Xie-Bai-San and the identification of these compounds by time of flight mass spectrometry. Valine, 4-hydroxyl resveratrol and kukoamine B were identified as the bioactive compounds specifically binding to beta2-adrenergic receptor in Xie-Bai-San. The binding of these compounds to the receptor occurred on four amino acid residues, viz., Asp 113, Ser 204, Ser 207, and Phe 290 in the crystal structure of beta2-adrenergic receptor. Hydrogen bond and hydrophobic force were believed to drive the binding of the compounds to beta2-adrenergic receptor on these residues. The results indicated that the proposed methodology has advantages on rapid, high throughput, and specific analysis, meanwhile, it has the capacity to probe the binding sites of the screened bioactive compounds. Fast affinity extraction methodology is expected to become a powerful alternative, which is superior in rapid screening of bioactive compounds from complex matrices such as traditional Chinese medicine.
KeywordsBeta2-adrenergic receptor Xie-Bai-San Fast affinity extraction Bioactive compounds
The authors greatly thank the finacial support from the Scientific Research Plan Projects of Shaanxi Education Department (No. 14JK1571), the Natural Science Basic Research Plan in Shaanxi Province of China (Nos 2015JQ5069, 2016JM8057), the program for Innovative Research Team of Shaanxi Province (No. 2013KCT-24), the Ministry of Science and Technology of the People’s Republic of China (No. 2013YQ170525; subproject: 2013YQ17052509), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 21475103), the Natural Science Foundation of Shaanxi Province (No. 2015JM2072), the Program for Changjiang Scholars and Innovative Research Team in University (No. IRT_15R55) for the financial support. The innovation and entrepreneurship training program of Northwest University (2016179).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- Chaler EA, Rivarola MA, Guerci B, Ciaccio M, Costanzo M, Travaglino P, Maceiras M, Pagani S, Meazza C, Bozzola E, Barberi S, Bozzola M, Belgorosky A (2006) Differences in serum GH cut-off values for pharmacological tests of GH secretion depend on the serum GH method. Clinical validation from the growth velocity score during the first year of treatment. Horm Res 66:231–235PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Coria-Téllez AV, Montalvo-Gónzalez E, Yahia EM, Obledo-Vázque EN (2016) Annona Muricata: a comprehensive review on its traditional medicinal uses, phytochemicals, pharmacological activities, mechanisms of action and toxicity. Arab J Chem. doi: 10.1016/j.arabjc.201601004
- Huang MC, Pai FT, Lin CC, Chang CM, Chang HH, Lee YC, Sun MF, Yen H (2015) Characteristics of traditional Chinese medicine use in patients with rheumatoid arthritis in Taiwan: a nationwide population-based study. J Ethnopharmacol 176:267–273Google Scholar
- Jattinagoudar L, Meti M, Nandibewoor S, Shivamurti C (2015) Evaluation of the binding interaction between bovine serum albumin and dimethyl fumarate, an anti-Inflammatory drug by multispectroscopic methods. Spectrochim Acta A 2:174–175Google Scholar
- Jiménez-Sánchez C, Lozano-Sánchez J, Brüggemann M, Neves-Vieira M, Rodriguez-Werner M, Schmalfub E, Winterhalter P, Segura-Carretero A (2016) Application and comparison of high-speed countercurrent chromatography and high-performance liquid chromatography in semi-preparative separation of decarboxymethyl oleuropein aglycone (3, 4-DHPEA-EDA), a bioactive secoiridoid from extra-virgin olive oil. Eur J Lipid Sci Tech. doi: 10.1002/ejlt.201500532
- Li Q, Bian LJ, Zhao XF, Gao XK, Zheng JB, Li ZJ, Zhang YY, Jiang R, Zheng XH (2014) Immobilised histidine tagged β 2-adrenoceptor oriented by a diazonium salt reaction and its application in exploring drug-protein interaction using ephedrine and pseudoephedrine as probes. PLoS One 9:e94955CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar