Synthesis, spectral characterization, DNA binding ability and anti-cancer screening of new acridine-based derivatives
- 117 Downloads
In this study, a series of newly synthesized acridine derivatives, compounds 4, 6a, and 6b, are described and their biological activity on HL-60 cell lines is assessed using a number of different techniques. Binding studies were also performed between the derivatives and DNA in order to characterize the mechanism of the agents’ effect in more detail. The results of ultraviolet–visible absorption spectroscopy prove that the binding of derivatives 4, 6a, and 6b had occurred with a binding constant value of K = 3.5 × 104–4.0 × 104 M−1. These findings are indicative of a strong interaction between the derivatives and DNA, and this hypothesis is supported by the results of the fluorescence emission, linear dichroism, and viscometric assays.
KeywordsAcridine derivatives Topoisomerases I and II HL-60 cells DNA binding
This study was supported by Slovak Research and Development Agency under contract VVCE-0001-07, VEGA grants No. 1/0001/13, and 1/0672/11 and MH CZ-DRO (UHHK, 00179906). The authors would like to thank Jana Kašpárkova and Viktor Brabec for their advice on LD measurement and viscometric techniques.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- Barros FW, Silva TG, da Rocha Pitta MG, Bezerra DP, Costa-Lotufo LV, de Moraes MO, Pessoa C, de Moura MA, de Abreu FC, de Lima Mdo C, Galdino SL, Pitta Ida R, Goulart MO (2012) Synthesis and cytotoxic activity of new acridine-thiazolidine derivatives. Bioorg Med Chem 20:3533–3539CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Barros FW, Bezerra DP, Ferreira PM, Cavalcanti BC, Silva TG, Pitta MG, de Lima Mdo C, Galdino SL, Pitta Ida R, Costa-Lotufo LV, Moraes MO, Burbano RR, Guecheva TN, Henriques JA, Pessoa C (2013) Inhibition of DNA topoisomerase I activity and induction of apoptosis by thiazacridine derivatives. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 268:37–46CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Basili S, Basso G, Faccio A, Granzhan A, Ihmels H, Moro S, Viola G (2008) Diazoniapolycyclic ions inhibit the activity of topoisomerase I and the growth of certain tumor cell lines. ChemMedChem 31671:e1676Google Scholar
- Busa J (2006) Octave. Technical University, KosiceGoogle Scholar
- Janočková J, Plšíková J, Kašpárková J, Brabec V, Jendželovský R, Mikeš J, Kovaľ J, Hamuľaková S, Fedoročko P, Kuča K, Kožurková M (2015a) Inhibition of DNA topoisomerases I and II and growth inhibition of HL-60 cells by novel acridine-based compounds. Eur J Pharm Sci 76:192–202CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lafayette EA, De Almeida SV, Da Rocha Pitta MG, Beltrao EIC, Da Silva TG, De Moura RO, Da Rocha Pitta I, De Carvalho Júnior LB, De Lima MDCA (2013) Synthesis, DNA binding and topoisomerase I inhibition activity of thizacridine and imidazacridine derivatives. Molecules 18:15035–15050CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Li X, Ma D, Yang H, Tan G, Du H, Wang K, Zhang P, Chen H (2014) Synthesis, antitumor activity and DNA binding of acridine-polyamine conjugates. Chem J Chinese U 35:1181–1188Google Scholar
- Tsukamoto I, Koshio H, Kuramochi T, Saitoh C, Yanai-Inamura H, Kitada-Nozawa C, Yamamoto E, Yatsu T, Shimada Y, Sakamoto S, Tsukamoto S (2009) Synthesis and structure–activity relationships of amide derivatives of (4,4-difluoro-1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-5H-1-benzazepin-5-ylidene)acetic acid as selective arginine vasopressin V2 receptor agonists. Bioorg Med Chem 17:3130–3141CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yao B-L, Mai Y-W, Chen S-B, Xie H-T, Yao P-F, Ou T-M, Tan J-H, Wang H-G, Li D, Huang S-L, Gu L-Q, Huang Z-S (2015) Design, synthesis and biological evaluation of novel 7-alkylamino substituted benzo[a]phenazin derivatives as dual topoisomerase I/II inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem 92:540–553Google Scholar