Synthesis and antimicrobial evaluation of sulfanilamide- and carbohydrate-derived 1,4-disubstitued-1,2,3-triazoles via click chemistry
- 377 Downloads
4-Sulfanilamido substitued-1,2,3-triazoles conjugated with monosaccharides (8–17) including d-glucose, d-galactose, d-mannose, and d-fructose were synthesized in good yields from azidosugars with propargyl sulfanilamides using copper catalyst 1,3-dipolar cycloaddition reaction (CuAAC). The structures of new compounds were elucidated by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry, infrared, one-dimensional- and two-dimensional-nuclear magnetic resonance techniques. All of the new compounds were tested in vitro against Staphylococcus aureus, Bacillus subtilis, Escherichia coli, Salmonella typhimurium, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterococcus faecalis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Candida albicans for their antibacterial and antifungal activities. Experimental results showed antimicrobial activity with minimum inhibitory concentrations values a ranging from 0.078 to 5.0 mg/mL against test microorganisms.
KeywordsAzidosugar 1,2,3-Triazole Sulfanilamide Antimicrobial Click reaction
This work was supported by Manisa Celal Bayar University (Project no: BAP-2014-054) and the authors are grateful to Manisa Celal Bayar University for financial support.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- Carvalho I, Andrade P, Campo VL, Guedes PM, Sesti-Costa R, Silva JS, Schenkman S, Dedola S, Hill L, Rejzek M (2010) ‘Click chemistry’ synthesis of a library of 1,2,3-triazole-substituted galactose derivatives and their evaluation against Trypanosoma cruzi and its cell surface trans-sialidase. Bioorg Med Chem 18(7):2412–2427CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Da Silva FDC, Do Carmo Cardoso MF, Ferreira PG, Ferreira VF (2015) Biological properties of 1H-1,2,3- and 2H-1,2,3-triazoles. In: Dehaen W, Bakulev VA (Eds.) Chemistry of 1,2,3-triazoles. Springer, New York, pp 117–165. Vol. 40Google Scholar
- Giffin MJ, Heaslet H, Brik A, Lin Y-C, Cauvi G, Wong C-H, Mcree DE, Elder JH, Stout CD, Torbett BE (2008) A copper (I)-catalyzed 1,2,3-triazole azide-alkyne click compound is a potent inhibitor of a multidrug-resistant HIV-1 protease variant. J Med Chem 51(20):6263–6270CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Huisgen R (1984) 1,3-Dipolar cycloaddition. Introduction, survey, mechanism. In: Padwa A (Ed.) 1,3-Dipolar cycloaddition chemistry. Wiley, New York, pp 1–176. Vol. 2Google Scholar
- Ma N, Wang Y, Zhao B-X, Ye W-C, Jiang S (2015) The application of click chemistry in the synthesis of agents with anticancer activity. Drug Des Dev Ther 9:1585–1599Google Scholar
- Mishra AK, Kumar A (2015) Recent advances in development of sulfonamide derivatives and their pharmacological effects—a review. Am J Pharmacol Sci 3(1):18–24Google Scholar
- Raj R, Sharma V, Hopper MJ, Patel N, Hall D, Wrischnik LA, Land KM, Kumar V (2014) Synthesis and preliminary in vitro activity of mono- and bis- 1H-1,2,3-triazole-tethered β-lactam-isatin conjugates against the human protozoal pathogen Trichomonas vaginalis. Med Chem Res 23(8):3671–3680CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Silva GBD, Guimarães BM, Assis SP, Lima VL, Oliveira RND (2013) Ultrasound-assisted synthesis of 1-N-β-d-glucopyranosyl-1H-1,2,3-triazole benzoheterocycles and their anti-inflammatory activities. J Braz Chem Soc 24(6):914–921Google Scholar
- Tiwari VK, Mishra BB, Mishra KB, Mishra N, Singh AS, Chen X (2016) Cu-catalyzed click reaction in carbohydrate chemistry. Chem Rev. doi: 10.1021/acs.chemrev.5b00408
- Whiting M, Tripp JC, Lin Y-C, Lindstrom W, Olson AJ, Elder JH, Sharpless KB, Fokin VV (2006) Rapid discovery and structure–activity profiling of novel inhibitors of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 protease enabled by the copper (I)-catalyzed synthesis of 1,2,3-triazoles and their further functionalization. J Med Chem 49(26):7697–7710CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar