Synthesis and antioxidant activity of a new class of pyrazolyl indoles, thiazolyl pyrazolyl indoles
A new class of bis and tris heterocycles–pyrazolyl indoles and thiazolyl pyrazolyl indoles were prepared from the Michael acceptor (E)-3-(1H-indol-3-yl)-1-arylprop-2-en-1-ones by ultrasound irradiation technique and tested for antioxidant activity. The thiazolyl pyrazolyl indoles and pyrazolyl indoles showed greater radical scavenging activity than pyrazolinyl indoles. Amongst all the tested compounds, 3-(1-(4′′-(p-chlorophenyl)thiazol-2′′-yl)-3′-p-tolyl-1H-pyrazol-5′-yl)-1H-indole (7b) and 3-(1-(4′′-(p-chlorophenyl)thiazol-2′′-yl)-3′-(p-methoxyphenyl)-1H-pyrazol-5′-yl)-1H-indole (7c) displayed promising antioxidant activity when compared with standard drug ascorbic acid. The compounds having electron donating groups (CH3, OCH3) on the phenyl ring exhibited greater antioxidant activity than those with electron withdrawing groups (Cl, Br, NO2).
KeywordsIndole Pyrazole Thiazole Cyclocondensation Antioxidant activity
The authors are grateful to University Grants Commission, New Delhi for the sanction of UGC-BSR fellowship. The authors are also thankful to Prof. Ch. Appa Rao, Department of Bio-chemistry (SVU), for providing facilities to carry out the antioxidant activity.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- Faritha A, Jamal Abdul Nasser A, Parveen Ahamed A, Thajuddin N (2014) Synthesis, characterization and biological activity of certain pyrazole derivatives. J Chem Pharm Res 6:189–193Google Scholar
- Green LC, Wagner DA, Glogowski J, Skipper PL, Wishnok JS, Tannenbaum SR (1982) Analysis of nitrate, nitrite, and [15N]nitrate in biological fluids. Analytical Biochemistry 126(1):131–138Google Scholar
- Siddiqui N, Arshad MF, Ahsan W, Alam MS (2009) Thiazoles: a valuable insight into the recent advances and biological activities. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 1:136Google Scholar
- Wu YJ, Yang BV (2011) Five-membered ring systems: with N and S (Se) atoms. In: Gordon G, John AJ (eds) Progress in heterocyclic chemistry, vol 22, ch 5.5. Elsevier, Great Britain, pp 259–307Google Scholar
- Zhou D, Zhou P, Evrard DA, Meagher K, Webb M, Harrison BL, Huryn DM, Golembieski J, Hornby GA, Schechter LE, Smith DL, Andree TH, Mewshaw RE (2008) Studies toward the discovery of the next generation of antidepressants. Part 6: dual 5-HT1A receptor and serotonin transporter affinity within a class of arylpiperazinyl-cyclohexyl indole derivatives. Bioorg Med Chem 16:6707–6723CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar