Discovery of Rimonabant and its potential analogues as anti-TB drug candidates
- 475 Downloads
Rimonabant and its analogues have been synthesized in moderate to good yields using a simple synthetic route. All the newly synthesized compounds were subjected to in vitro screening against M. tuberculosis and M. smegmatis. The most potent analogue JMG-14 exhibits MIC value of 3.13 compared to 3.25 and 50 µg/ml for ethambutol and pyrazinamide, respectively. The molecular docking reveals that pyrazole ring, number and position of halogen atoms play a crucial role in deciding interactions with MTCYP-121. These findings open up a new avenue in the search of potent anti-TB drugs with rimonabant and its novel analogue JMG-14 as lead molecules.
KeywordsRimonabant Diaryl pyrazoles Tuberculosis Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv MTCYP-121
JMG gratefully acknowledges CSIR-OSDD, CSIR-ORIGIN and DST-SERB, for the financial support.
- Belin P, Le Du MH, Fielding A, Lequin O, Jacquet M, Charbonnier JB, Lecoq A, Thai R, Courcon M, Masson C, Dugavet R, Pernodet JL, Gondry M (2009) Identification and structural basis of the reaction catalyzed by CYP121, an essential cytochrome P450 in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 106(18):7426–7431PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chiang CY, Schaaf HS (2010) Management of drug-resistant tuberculosis. Int J Tuberc LungDis 14:672–682Google Scholar
- Menozzi G, Merello L, Fossa P, Schenone S, Ranise A, Mosti L, Bondavalli F, Loddo R, Murgioni C, Mascia V, La Colla P, Tamburini E (2004) Synthesis, antimicrobial activity and molecular modeling studies of halogenated 4-[1H-imidazol-1-yl(phenyl)methyl]-1,5-diphenyl-1H-pyrazoles. Bioorg Med Chem 12(20):5465–5483PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Moore AV, Kirk SM, Callister SM, Mazurek GH, Schell RF (1999) Safe determination of susceptibility of Mycobacterium tuberculosis to antimycobacterial agents by flow cytometry. J. Clin Microbio 37(3):479–483Google Scholar
- NCCLS-National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards (1995) Antimycobacterial susceptibility testing for Mycobacterium tuberculosis proposed standard M24-T. Villanova, PAGoogle Scholar
- www.who.int/topics/tuberculosis/en/, Global Tuberculosis Report 2013, in, 2013
- www.who.int/topics/tuberculosis/en/, Tuberculosis prevalence surveys: a handbook, in, 2011