Synthesis and evaluation of linear furanocoumarins as potential anti-breast and anti-prostate cancer agents
- 523 Downloads
A series of 22 furanocoumarin derivatives were synthesized and evaluated for cytotoxicity against breast cancer (MCF-7 and MDA-MB-231) and prostate cancer (PC-3) cell lines along with normal cell line. Several analogs were synthesized by replacing prenyl moiety with alkyl, aromatic, and heteroaromatic functionality to study the structure–activity relationship. Compounds 20 and 22 with adamantoylamino, diprenylamino and substituted benzene sulfonamide substituents showed potent antiproliferative activity in MCF-7 cell line with IC50 values of 0.48 and 0.53 µM, respectively. Both the compounds showed higher IC50 value in MCF-10A cell lines indicating nontoxicity in normal cell lines.
KeywordsAnticancer Breast cancer Cytotoxic Furanocoumarin Imperatorin Prostate cancer
Fetal bovine serum
Methylthiazolyl tetrazolium assay
Dulbecco’s modified Eagle medium
SKC is thankful to the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, India for fellowship. The authors are thankful to the Director of NIPER for extending support to this work.
Conflict of interest
Authors declared no conflict of interest.
- Abdel-Hafez OM, Farrag HA (1994) Synthesis of new xanthotoxin-4-derivatives and their antimicrobial activity. Bull Natl Res Cent 19:79–90Google Scholar
- Aumuller W, Bander A, Heerdt R, Muth K, Pfaff W, Schmidt FH, Weber H, Weyer R (1966) A new highly-active oral antidiabetic. Arzneim Forsch 16:1640Google Scholar
- Cancer fact sheet No-297, World Health Organisation (2014) http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs297/en/. Accessed 6 Feb 2014
- IP NY-Y, IP FC-F, Guo S (2011) Neuro-protective effects of Adelostemma gracillimum and its isolated compounds. US20130079293 A1Google Scholar
- Kilic CS, Okada Y, Coskun M, Okuyama T (2006) New furanocoumarins isolated from the roots of ferulago isaurica pesmen growing in Turkey. Heterocycles 69:481–486Google Scholar
- Li N, He J, Zhan Y, Zhou N, Zhang J (2011) Design, synthesis and preliminary evaluation of novel imperatorin derivatives as vasorelaxant agents. Med Chem 7:18–23Google Scholar
- Waight ES, Razdan TK, Qadri B, Harkar S (1987) Chromones and coumarins from Skimmia laureola. Phytochemistry 26:2063–2069Google Scholar