Children’s awareness of alcohol sponsorship of sport in Ireland: Munster Rugby and the 2008 European Rugby Cup
- 355 Downloads
Examined children’s awareness of sport sponsorship in Ireland, focussing on the 2008 European Rugby Cup win by Munster Rugby.
Following the Munster Rugby win in 2008, a cross-sectional sample of 1,175 children (7–13 years) in 11 National Schools in Ireland were asked which company sponsored “the cup that Munster won” and were then asked to name the product made by that company.
Significantly higher level of awareness of the sponsor by children in Munster (69.9 %) to those outside Munster (21.5 %). No significant difference in the level of awareness of their product (alcohol) by location (inside Munster 75.9 %, outside Munster 83.6 %).
These findings support the view for an immediate introduction of legislation banning the sponsorship of sport.
KeywordsAlcohol Children Sponsorship Sport Ireland
- Anderson P, Baumberg B (2006) Alcohol in Europe: a public health perspective. Institute of Alcohol Studies, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Anderson P, Møller L, Galea G (2012) Alcohol in the European Union: consumption, harm and policy approaches. WHO Regional Office for Europe, CopenhagenGoogle Scholar
- Babor TF, Caetano R, Casswell S, Edwards G, Giesbrecht N, Graham K, Grube JW, Gruenewald PJ, Hill L, Holder HD, Homel R, Österberg E, Rehm J, Room R, Rossow I (2003) Alcohol: no ordinary commodity—research and public policy. Oxford University Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Butler S (2006) Tipping the balance? An Irish perspective on Anderson and Baumberg. Drugs: Educ Prev Policy 13:493–497Google Scholar
- Byrne S (2011) Costs to society of problem alcohol use in Ireland. Health Service Executive, DublinGoogle Scholar
- Department of Health (2012) Steering group report on a national substance misuse strategy. Department of Health, DublinGoogle Scholar
- Dring C, Hope A (2001) The impact of alcohol advertising on teenagers in Ireland. Health Promotion Unit, Department of Health & Children, DublinGoogle Scholar
- Hope A (2008) Alcohol-related harm in Ireland. Dublin: Health Service Executive—Alcohol Implementation Group. Health Services Executive, DublinGoogle Scholar
- Houghton F (2012) A perfect demonstration of the absence of leadership: alcohol policy in Ireland. Ir J Psych Med 2993:145–146Google Scholar
- Irish College of Psychiatrists. (2008) ‘Calling time on alcohol advertising and sponsorship in Ireland’ supporting a ban on alcohol advertising in Ireland, protecting children and adolescents. A policy paper prepared by the Faculty of Addiction Psychiatry of the Irish College of Psychiatrists. Irish College of Psychiatrists, DublinGoogle Scholar
- Joint Committee on Tourism, Culture, Sport, Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs (2010) Fourth report: combating underage alcohol abuse through sport. House of the Oireachtas, DublinGoogle Scholar
- Kelly C, Gavin A, Molcho M, Nic Gabhainn S (2012) The Irish health behaviours in school-aged children (HBSC) study 2010. Department of Health, DublinGoogle Scholar
- Lyons S, Lynn E, Walsh S, Sutton M, Long J (2011) Alcohol-related deaths and deaths among people who were alcohol dependent in Ireland, 2004 to 2008. Health Research Board, DublinGoogle Scholar
- Martin J, Barry J, Skally M (2011) Alcohol attributable hospitalisations and costs in Ireland, 2000-2004. Ir Med J 104:140–144. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21736089
- Mongan D (2010) The burden of alcohol-related morbidity on hospital services. Drugnet Ireland 35:9–12Google Scholar
- Mongan D, Hope A, Nelson M (2009) Social consequences of harmful use of alcohol in Ireland. HRB Overview Series 9. Health Research Board, DublinGoogle Scholar
- Morgan K, McGee H, Dicker P, Brugha R, Ward M, Shelley E, Van Lente E, Harrington J, Barry M, Perry I, Watson D (2009) SLÁN 2007: Survey of Lifestyle, Attitudes and Nutrition in Ireland. Alcohol use in Ireland: a profile of drinking patterns and alcohol-related harm from SLÁN 2007. The Stationery Office, DublinGoogle Scholar
- Munster Rugby Supporters Club (2012) Paint the province red list of participating schools. http://www.mrsc.ie/News_Detail.aspx?rowid=15688. Accessed 1 Oct 2012
- National Suicide Research Foundation (2011) National registry of deliberate self harm annual report 2010. National Suicide Research Foundation, CorkGoogle Scholar
- OECD Health Data (2011) http://stats.oecd.org/index.aspx?DataSetCode=HEALTH_STAT. Accessed 2 Dec 2011
- Office of Tobacco Control (2006) Children, youth and tobacco: behaviour, perceptions and public attitudes. Office of Tobacco Control Naas, KildareGoogle Scholar
- Palmer D, O’Reilly G (2008) Young people, alcohol and drugs. Juvenile Mental Health Matters, DublinGoogle Scholar
- TNS Opinion and Social (2010) EU citizens’ attitudes towards alcohol. Special Eurobarometer. European Commission, Brussels, p 331Google Scholar