Linear Graininess Time Scales and Ladder Operators of Orthogonal Polynomials
- 589 Downloads
In this paper we introduce linear graininess (LG) time scales. We further study orthogonal polynomials (OPs) with the weight function supported on LG time scales and derive the raising and lowering ladder operators by using the time scales calculus. We also derive a second order dynamic equation satisfied by these polynomials. The notion of an LG time scale encompasses the cases of the reals, the h-equidistant grid, the q-grid and, more general, a mixed (q, h)-grid. This allows a unified treatment of the ladder operators theory for classical OPs on these time scales. Moreover we will explain, why exclusively LG time scales provide the right framework for general OP theory.
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)26E70 33C47
KeywordsTime scales linear graininess time scales ladder operators orthogonal polynomials
GF was supported by the DAAD scholarship for one month to visit the Katholische Universität Eichstätt where this paper was started. The support of MNiSzW Iuventus Plus grant Nr 0124/IP3/2011/71 is also gratefully acknowledged.
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits any use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and the source are credited.
- 15.Time-scale calculus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_scale_calculus. Accessed 20 Jan 2012
- 16.Time-scales. http://www.timescales.org. Accessed 20 Jan 2012
- 17.Spedding, V.: Taming nature’s numbers. Cover story. New Scientist: the global science and technology weekly, 19 July 2003Google Scholar
- 18.Filipuk, G., Van Assche, W., Zhang, L.: Ladder operators and differential equations for multiple orthogonal polynomials. http://arxiv.org/abs/1204.5058. Accessed 1 May 2012
- 20.Grünbaum F.A., de la Iglesia M.D., Martínez-Finkelshtein A.: Properties of matrix orthogonal polynomials via their Riemann–Hilbert characterization. SIGMA Symmetry Integrability Geom. Methods Appl. 7(098), 31 (2011)Google Scholar