Estimating the Wet-Rock P-Wave Velocity from the Dry-Rock P-Wave Velocity for Pyroclastic Rocks
- 249 Downloads
Seismic methods are widely used for the geotechnical investigations in volcanic areas or for the determination of the engineering properties of pyroclastic rocks in laboratory. Therefore, developing a relation between the wet- and dry-rock P-wave velocities will be helpful for engineers when evaluating the formation characteristics of pyroclastic rocks. To investigate the predictability of the wet-rock P-wave velocity from the dry-rock P-wave velocity for pyroclastic rocks P-wave velocity measurements were conducted on 27 different pyroclastic rocks. In addition, dry-rock S-wave velocity measurements were conducted. The test results were modeled using Gassmann’s and Wood’s theories and it was seen that estimates for saturated P-wave velocity from the theories fit well measured data. For samples having values of less and greater than 20%, practical equations were derived for reliably estimating wet-rock P-wave velocity as function of dry-rock P-wave velocity.
KeywordsPyroclastic rocks dry- and wet-rock P-wave velocity regression analysis
This study has been supported by the Turkish Academy of Sciences (TUBA), in the framework of the Young Scientist Award Program (EA-TUBA-GEBIP/2001-1-1).
- Bourbié, T., Coussy, O., & Zinszner, B. (1987). Acoustics of porous media. Parıs: Editions Technip.Google Scholar
- Carcione, J. M. (2001). Wave fields in real media. Theory and numerical simulation of wave propagation in anisotropic, anelastic and porous media (1st ed., p. 390). Amsterdam: Pergamon Press.Google Scholar
- Carcione, J. M. (2007). Wave fields in real media. Theory and numerical simulation of wave propagation in anisotropic, anelastic, porous and electromagnetic media (2nd ed., p. 515). Amsterdam: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Gassmann, F. (1951) Über die Elastizität poröser Medien. Zürich: Inst. für Geophysik an der ETH.Google Scholar
- Guéguen, Y., & Palciauskas, V. (1994). Introduction to the physics of rocks (p. 294p). Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Krief, M., Garat, J., Stellingwerff, J., & Ventre, J. (1990). A petrophysical interpretation using the velocities of P and S waves (full-waveform sonic). The Log Analyst, 31(6), 355–369.Google Scholar
- Lama, R. D., & Vutukuri, V. S. (1978). Handbook on mechanical properties of rocks (Vol. 2, p. 481). Clausthal: Trans Tech Publications.Google Scholar
- Toprak, V., Keller, J., & Schumacher, R. (1994). Volcano-tectonic features of the Cappadocian volcanic province. International Volcanological Congress-Excursion Guide (p. 58). Turkey: Middle East Technical University.Google Scholar
- Wood, A. B. (1941). A textbook of sound (p. 578). London: G. Bell and Sons Ltd.Google Scholar