Closed-form solutions for free vibration of rectangular FGM thin plates resting on elastic foundation
- 13k Downloads
This article presents closed-form solutions for the frequency analysis of rectangular functionally graded material (FGM) thin plates subjected to initially in-plane loads and with an elastic foundation. Based on classical thin plate theory, the governing differential equations are derived using Hamilton’s principle. A neutral surface is used to eliminate stretching–bending coupling in FGM plates on the basis of the assumption of constant Poisson’s ratio. The resulting governing equation of FGM thin plates has the same form as homogeneous thin plates. The separation-of-variables method is adopted to obtain solutions for the free vibration problems of rectangular FGM thin plates with separable boundary conditions, including, for example, clamped plates. The obtained normal modes and frequencies are in elegant closed forms, and present formulations and solutions are validated by comparing present results with those in the literature and finite element method results obtained by the authors. A parameter study reveals the effects of the power law index n and aspect ratio a/b on frequencies.
KeywordsFunctionally graded material Free vibration Rectangular plate Close form solutions Neutral surface
The project was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grants 11172028, 1372021), Research Fund for the Doctoral Program of Higher Education of China (Grant 20131102110039), and the Innovation Foundation of Beihang University for PhD graduates.
- 1.Koizumi, M.: The concept of FGM. Ceram. Trans. Func. Grad. Mater. 34, 3–10 (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Koizumi, M.: FGM activities in Japan. Compos. Pt B. Eng. 28, 1–4 (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Xing, Y.F., Liu, B.: New exact solutions for free vibrations of thin orthotropic rectangular plates. Compos. Struct. 89, 567–574 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Yin, S., Yu, T., Liu, P.: Free vibration analyses of FGM thin plates by isogeometric analysis based on classical plate theory and physical neutral surface. Adv. Mech. Eng. 5, 634584 (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Thai, H.T., Uy, B.: Levy solution for buckling analysis of functionally graded plates based on a refined plate theory. J. Mech. E. Pt C. 227, 2649–2664 (2013)Google Scholar