Optimization of Thermal Shock Resistance Alumina-Spinel Castables
- 8 Downloads
High-purity alumina-spinel (A-MA) castables are widely used in steel ladles due to their excellent resistance against slag penetration and corrosion. Deflocculated with a polycarboxylate ether and bonded with calcium aluminate cement (CAC) they achieve high strength quickly after installation, after firing, and as well at all temperatures up to their service temperature. The calcium magnesium aluminate binder (CMA) further improves the slag penetration resistance and with that minimizes the structural spalling during thermal cycling. With the change from CAC to CMA also an increase in strength at equal total CaO-content has been observed. This study investigates the trade-off between high strength and thermal shock resistance of model A-MA-CMA castables. Potential approaches for improvement of the thermal shock resistance through a modified CMA binder content and castable particle size distribution are discussed.
Keywordsthermal shock resistance alumina-spinel castables calcium aluminate cement calcium magnesium aluminate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Yamamura, T. et al.: Development of alumina-spinel castables for steel ladles. Taikabutsu 42 (1990)  427–434Google Scholar
- Asano, S. et al.: Mechanism of slag penetration in alumina-spinel castable for steel ladle. Taikabutsu 43 (1991)  193–199Google Scholar
- Wöhrmeyer, C. et al.: New spinel containing calcium aluminate cement for corrosion resistant castables. Proc. Unitecr 2011, Kyoto (Japan) 1255–2166Google Scholar
- Assis, G. et al.: Castables with improved corrosion resistance for steel making applications. Proc. Unitecr 2011, Kyoto (Japan)Google Scholar
- Wöhrmeyer, C. et al.: New calcium magnesium aluminate for corrosion resistant castables. Proc. 6th Int. Symposium on Refractories 2012, Zhengzhou (China) 227–230Google Scholar
- Ulbricht, J. et al.: Technological measures to improve the thermal shock resistance of refractory materials. Refractories Manual (2012)  103–106Google Scholar
- Auvray, J.-M.: New insights into corrosion mechanisms of dense refractory castables containing a novel calcium magnesium-alumina binder. Proc. Int. Refractory Colloquium 2012, Aachen (Germany)Google Scholar