Participation by Women in Behavior Analysis
The participation of women in behavior analysis as authors of articles published in the Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior (JEAB) and the Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis (JABA), as members of the Association for Behavior Analysis (ABA), and as contributors to the 1982 ABA convention was examined. Since the inception of JEAB and JABA, men have appeared as authors far more frequently than women, although women have published relatively more frequently in the latter journal than in the former. Across years, there has been an upward trend in the proportion of JEAB authors who are female; this is not the case for all JABA authors, although it does hold for senior authors. In 1980–1981 and 1981–1982, females represented approximately half of ABA’s student and affiliate members but less than a third of its full members. Approximately a third of the contributors to posters and symposia and a seventh of those delivering invited addresses at the 1982 ABA convention were women.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Astin, H. S., & Hirsch, W. Women: A challenge to higher education. New York: Praeger, 1977.Google Scholar
- Cole, J. R. Fair science: Women in the scientific community. New York: Free Press, 1979.Google Scholar
- Goldberg, P. Are some women prejudiced against women? Trans-Action, 1968, 5, 28–30.Google Scholar
- Horner, M. S. Femininity and successful achievement: A basic inconsistency. In J. M. Bardwick, E. Douvan, M. S. Horner, & D. Gutmann (Eds.), Feminine personality and conflict. Belmont, Ca.: Brooks/Cole, 1970.Google Scholar
- Horner, M. S. Toward an understanding of achievement-related conflicts in women. In J. Stacey, S. Gereaud, & J. Daniels (Eds.), And Jill came tumbling after: Sexism in American education. New York: Dell, 1974.Google Scholar
- Kolstoe, R. H. Introduction to statistics for the behavioral sciences. Homewood, Il.: Dorsey, 1969.Google Scholar
- Mednick, M. T. S., & Weissman, H. J. The psychology of women—selected topics. In M. R. Resenzweig & L. W. Porter (Eds.) Annual review of psychology. Palo Alto, Ca.: Annual Reviews, 1975.Google Scholar
- Schaffer, K. F. Sex roles and human behavior. Boston: Winthrop, 1981.Google Scholar
- Williams, J. H. Psychology of women. New York: Norton, 1983.Google Scholar