Effects of synthetic salmon calcitonin administration on gastrin, immunoreactive insulin and growth hormone release after protein meal in uremic patients
- 5 Downloads
Recent studies indicate that calcitonin inhibits, in man, the secretion of several hormones such as gastrin, insulin, growth hormone. There are no reports about this effect in uremic patients in which frequently calcitonin, gastrin, growth hormone, and insulin response to glucose administration is increased. A comparative study of the effects of synthetic salmon calcitonin infusion (50 U iv) on gastrin, growth hormone and insulin release after protein meal (250 g of boiled lean beef) in 10 uremic patients undergoing hemodialysis and in 10 normal subjects was performed. Insulin and growth hormone response to protein meal was inhibited by calcitonin both in normal and uremic subjects. Gastrin response instead was inhibited only in normal subjects. These findings indicate that in uremic patients the inhibitory effect of calcitonin on insulin and growth hormone secretion is still present. The lack of evident inhibitory effect on gastrin release could be related to persistent hypergastrinemia because of the increased half life of the hormone which could mask acute changes of secretion.
Key-wordsCalcitonin gastrin immunoreactive insulin growth hormone uremia protein meal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Passeri M., Carapezzi C, Ceccato S., Cucinotta D., Palummeri E. Influenza della calcitonina sulla increzione insulinica da carico di glucosio per via endovenosa. Giornate Cliniche Mediche 55: 362, 1973.Google Scholar
- 6.Mangiafico R.A., Lunetta M., Liuzzo A., Costa M., Giuga G., Bonanno G.C. Influenza della calcitonina di salmone sulla somatotro-pinemia e sulla glucagonemia dopo stimolo con insulina endovena. Boll. Soc. Med. Chir. (Catania), 47: 367, 1978.Google Scholar
- 12.Defronzo R.A. Pathogenesis of glucose intolerance in uraemia. Metabolism 27: (Suppl. 2), 1866, 1978.Google Scholar
- 20.Le Portz J. Le dosage radioimmunologique de la gastrine. Thèse Doc. Méd. Nantes, 1975.Google Scholar
- 22.Borie A.B. Regulation of the mitochondrial control of cellular calcium homeostasis and calcium transport by phosphate, parathyroid hormone, calcitonin, vitamin D and cyclic AMP. In: Talmage R.V., Owen M., Parson J.A. (Eds.), Calcium regulating hormones. Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, 1975, p. 217.Google Scholar
- 29.Grossman M.I. Biological actions of gastrin. Demling L. Thieme Verlag, Stuttgart, 1968.Google Scholar
- 30.Maxwell J.C., Moore J.G., Dixon J. Gastrin levels in anephric patients. Surforum 22: 305, 1971.Google Scholar