Comparative Assessment of ISSR and RAPD Marker Assays for Genetic Diversity Analysis in Jojoba [Simmondsia chinensis (Link) Schneider]
- 160 Downloads
A collection of male and female plants of ten Jojoba [Simmondsia chinensis (Link) Schneider] genotypes was analyzed with 50 RAPID and 55 ISSR markers to compare the efficiency and utility of these techniques for detecting genetic polymorphism. RAPID and ISSR analysis yielded 442 and 566 scorable amplified products, respectively, of which 60.7 and 69.3% were polymorphic. ISSRs revealed efficiency over RAPDs due to high EMR (effective multiplex ratio), DI (diversity index, mean PIC per primer) and MI (marker index) values. Jaccard similarity matrices among male plants, among female plants and between male and female plants of the ten jojoba genotypes varied between 0.705-0.784. Dendrograms generated by cluster analysis (UPGMA, NTSYS-pc) supported by bootstrap values using RAPID and ISSR datasets led to grouping of most of male and females genotypes in separate clusters. While pattern of clustering remained more or less same, the two dendrograms did differ with respect to the grouping of a few male and female genotypes. The value of the Mantel test shows poor correlation (r = 0.41) between ISSR and RAPID marker datasets.
Key wordsgenetic diversity ISSR jojoba molecular markers RAPID
random amplified polymorphic DNA
inter simple sequence repeat
polymorphic information content
unweighted paired group method using arithmetic averages
Numerical Taxonomy and Multivariate Analysis System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Benzioni A & Forti M, In Oil crops of the world (G Robbelen, RK Downey A Ashr, Editors), McGraw Hill Publishing Co., New York (1989) pp 448–461.Google Scholar
- 2.Weiss EA, Oilseed crops, Longman, London (1983) pp 507–527.Google Scholar
- 5.Awasthi AK, Nagaraja GM, Naik GV, Kanginakudru S, Thangavelu K & Nagaraju J, Genetics, 5 (2004) 2151.Google Scholar
- 9.Chadha S & Gopalakrishna T, Current Science, 93 (2007) 688.Google Scholar
- 10.Rohlf FJ, NTSYS-pc:Numerical Taxonomy and Multivanate Analysis System. Version 2.2,Exeter Publications Setauket, New York (1998).Google Scholar
- 11.Yap IV & Nelson RJ, IRRI Discussion Paper Ser. No. 14. International Rice Research Institute, Los Baños (1996).Google Scholar