Implantation delay and nidation by progesterone in carrot seed (Daucus carota) extract treated albino rats
- 32 Downloads
In the present study the effect of petroleum ether extract of carrot seeds and progesterone on implantation have been investigated. 0·6 ml/100 g body weight of carrot seed extract was administered subcutaneously from days 1–7 of pregnancy and laparatomized on day 8. No implantation sites were observed. Thereafter graded doses of progesterone 2, 4 or 8 mg/100 g body weight was administered upto day 15 and autopsied on day 16. Two mg of progesterone did not show any effect. However, 4 mg of progesterone treated rats had smaller implantation sites compared to the controls whereas, 8 mg of progesterone was most effective with the result that in almost all the rats, delayed implantation was observed.
KeywordsImplantation carrot seed extract progesterone albino rats
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Briggs M H and Christie G A 1977 Antifertility substances in plants;Adv. Steroid. Biochem. Pharmacol. 6 XI-XIXGoogle Scholar
- Cochrane R L and Meyer R K 1957 Delayed nidation in the rat induced by progesterone;Endocrinology 96 155Google Scholar
- Garg S K and Garg G P 1971 Antifertility screening of plants (Part VII). Effect on pregnancy in albino rats;Indian J. Med. Res. 59 307Google Scholar
- Kaliwal B B and Appaswamy Rao M 1977 Inhibition of implantation by carrot extract and its rectification in albino rats;J. Karnatak. Univ. Sci. 22 167–172Google Scholar
- Kaliwal B B and Appaswamy Rao M 1979 Dose and durational effect of carrot seed extract on implantation in albino rats;Comp. Physiol. Ecol. 4 92–97Google Scholar
- Nutting E F and Meyer R K 1965Implantation delay, nidation and embryonic survival in rats treated with ovarian hormones. In delayed implantation (ed.) A C Enders (University of Chicago Press) p 233Google Scholar
- Prasad M R N, Kalra S P and Segal S J 1965 Effect of Clomiphene on blastocysts during delayed implantation in the rats;Fertil. Steril. 6 101–105Google Scholar
- Shelesnyak M C, Kraicer S P and Zeilmaker G H 1963 Studies on the mechanism of decidualization. I. The oestrogen surge of pseudopregnancy and progravidity and its role in the process of decidualization;Acta Endocrinol. Kbh. 42 225–232Google Scholar