The sphyraenidae of the Indian coasts
Sphyraenella chrysotaenia (Klunzinger) andSphyraena qenie Klunzinger are recorded and described for the first time from Indian waters. Juveniles and adults of the former species occur at Visakhapatnam; adults were collected also from Porto Novo and Ernakulam. Adults ofS. qenie were collected from Visakhapatnam and Ernakulam.
S. chrysotaenia can be distinguished from the related speciesS. flavicauda and fromS. obtusata by: (1) Deeper body; (2) Longer pectorals and ventrals; (3) Second dorsal spine being longer than first; (4) Distance from tip of depressed first dorsal to origin of second dorsal being less than snout length; (5) Elongated last rays of second dorsal and anal.
S. qenie is distinguished by: (1) Absence of gill rakers; (2) Both dorsal fins and all or most anal rays being dark; (3) Maxilla reaching to vertical line through front of eye; (4) Absence of preopercular flap.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ben-Tuvia, A... “Systematics and Ecology of Indo-Pacific Fishes recently Established in the Eastern Mediterranean,”Proc. XVI International Congr. Zool., Washington, 1963,1, 115.Google Scholar
- Berg, L. S. .. “Classification of Fishes both Recent and Fossil,”J.W. Edwards, Ann Arbour, 1947, p. 469.Google Scholar
- Blegvad, H. .. “Fishes of the Iranian Gulf,”Danish Sci. Invest. Iran, 1944’ Pt. III, 181–83.Google Scholar
- Day, F...The Fishes of India, W. M. Dawson and Sons, London, 1878,1, 342–43 (Reprinted 1958).Google Scholar
- Gunther, A. C. L. G...Catalogue of the Fishes in the British Museum, London, 1860,2, 334–41.Google Scholar
- Misra, K. S... “An aid to the identification of the common commercial fishes of India and Pakistan,”Rec. Indian Mus., 1962,57 (1–4), 209–10.Google Scholar
- Munro, I. S. R. ..The Marine and Fresh-water Fishes of Ceylon, Canberra, 1955, 90–91.Google Scholar
- Schultz, L. P... “Fishes of the Marshall and Marianas Islands,”U.S. Nat. Mus., 1953,Bull., 202,1, 279–87.Google Scholar
- Scott, J. S. .. “An Introduction to the Sea Fishes of Malaya,”Min. Agri., Kuala Lumpur, 1959, pp. 119–20.Google Scholar
- Smith, J. L. B. .. “The Fishes of the Family Sphyraenidae in the Western Indian Ocean,”Ichthyo. Bull. Rhodes Univ., 1956, No. 3, 37–46.Google Scholar
- —————..The Sea Fishes of Southern Africa, Central News Agency, South Africa, 1961, 4th Ed., pp. 325–26.Google Scholar
- Williams, F... “The barracudas (genusSphyraena) in British East African waters,”Ann. Mag. Nat. Hist., 1959, 13th Ser.,2(14), 92–128, Pls. I–II.Google Scholar